I'm already starting to feel normal

by doublelife 16 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

For the first time today, when my boss asked what I'm going to be doing for Thanksgiving, I didn't have to go into this awkward explaination of why I don't celebrate it. I simply said that I'm going over my aunt's. It may sound trivial but it feels great! This was always the one holiday that I hoped no one would ask me about. Other holidays are a little bit easier to explain. I never could find a good enough reason for why being thankful was bad. Of course we are suppose to be thankful everyday but that doesn't mean it's bad to make a special day for it.

• beksbks
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Cool!

Romans 14:5 (New Century Version)

5 Some think that one day is more important than another, and others think that every day is the same. Let all be sure in their own mind.

Blessings,

Stephen

• cantleave
    cantleave

DL I know exactly what you mean. I was talking to a customer yesterday who is away until the new year, he wished me a meery christmas and I wished him one back, without any guilt.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I know just what you are saying. I got so tired of parroting standard JW replies I didn't believe in anymore. It was liberating to be able to wish someone a happy Thanksgiving or a Merry Christmas.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I live in Mississippi and today one of my friends told me that one of the nice southern ladies at his work asked a guy from France "how do ya'll celebrate Thanksgiving in France"?

I just love southern people. (I'm southern!)

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

I totally understand.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, even when I was a dub, I was at a loss to explain why this holiday was supposedly so 'evil'. No pagan roots, no real nationalism or cultural ties. Just a day to be thankful.... wow, how sinful is that

• hotspur
    hotspur

I too, know exactly what you mean...... how liberating is something so simple? Continue to enjoy your freedom.

I use a simple test..... "His commandments are not burdensome"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I no longer have to reply as to why I don't celebrate Christmas--because I now do. So what if Jesus was born in late September or early October (and, if Easter is correct, he had to have been born in early fall)? What really counts is that December 25 has been set aside to honor Jesus' birth, and so December 25 it shall be. Nor do I need to do Bah! Humbug! or "Have a nice day" when they say "Merry Christmas". Which most people take as being quite rude.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

that is so cool. Wifey actually accepted a birthday and christmas party invitation. I stand back and watch. I'm glad u got over the hump of having an awkward explanation for not participating

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit