Do you still read the bible?

by boyzone 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nope, I don't think there is anything of interest to me anymore in it's pages as I recognize it is just of book of mythology that has been used for centuries to keep people in fear of an angry deity who requires worship to keep him happy.

• glenster
    glenster

"I don't think I could ever find a loving God there."

One way to understand the love Job found in God is to take God out of it and
    just have him regard life. It's the same bad stuff in life with or without God.
    For all the bad, you wouldn't say you can't find any love in life. It's like
    that if you add an article of faith for Him. The idea of Him not having love
    would be as much a mischaracterization as the idea that He's all-beneficent and
    we all live in heavenly circumstances.

The JWs leaders, efforts at claiming specialties notwithstanding, leave an
    impression that you either take the Bible as literal history and science (as
    they mischaracterize them, too) or nothing. That's a forced choice like the
    ones they use teaching their specialties. You can also imagine an author knew
    they were writing figuratively for theological teaching. (For instance, I don't
    remember reading about ancient searches for Noah's ark.) It's vaguely like not
    having to prove someone else has to love a song you love.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I only read the Bible to rebut a Washtowel doctrine. Since the Bible lies, I do not use it for personal guidance.
    Only to prove that the Washtowel doesn't abide by the Bible as they claim to.

• acolytes
    acolytes

What a great question.

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

I still read the Bible occasionally. After leaving JWs I tried to avoid any contact with religion in any form, but now I accept it's going to be part of me anyway. I read the Bible a few times a month, sometimes to refute the WT teachings, more often just to check if I had correctly remembered something that flashed in my mind. So I do read the Bible often but then I'm reading other literature all the time, so the the proportion of religious publications of all my reading is marginal... as it should. You can then make your own conclusions about the Bibbe: Is it word of God, authorative and beneficial? One of my favorites is the book of Judges... for example:

"Jair, a Gileadite... had thirty sons that rode on thirty ass colts..." (Judges 10:3-4) and "Abdon... had forty sons and thirty nephews, that rode on threescore and ten ass colts..." (Judges 12:13-14). So what's the point?

Well, this might be useful in the Gilead math class as an exercise: "Gee, I can solve this, that's 100 dollars... I mean 100 asses altogether...or is it 200?"

Or, simply, would those stories tell you something about how the book of Judges was compiled?

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

No

Hopscotch

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Do you still read the bible?

You mean the book of " Stories of Mythological Embellishment by Ancient Cultures " ?

No, only as a reference of human ignorance

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

don't read it, don't own one, not interested in a story book that can be so twisted by anyone and can make it sound like the truth!

had my own bible burning 8 years ago. all 5 of them 5 less in this world to corrupt innoscent plp.

I won't get into doctrinal descussions on this site as I'm not interested other than to say wat a load of crap. I can no longer say or lay claim to being a christian, the more i think about i'm agnostic and maybe heading toward athiest.

Then again maybe stargate's got it right, why have they not bought up the subject of christians & muslims?

and have another

k

• Black Sheep

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit