Do you still read the bible?

by boyzone 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• boyzone
    boyzone

I can't. I can't even bring myself to pick up the book anymore but I'm still a christian.

Not sure why, just this feeling of guilt when I read it, and guilt if I don't.

Anyone else have an aversion to the good book?

• teel
    teel

I understand you. I sort of have the same feeling. I still believe in God, and that the Bible is God's word. I do read it now and then though. My problem is that when I read it and get to some well known verse, the JW training kicks in and reinterprets things for me. That is not a pleasant feeling. I try just to concentrate on the words and context itself, to let the word explain itself for me. Praying for understanding could also help. I hope it's a temporary thing, and after being away from the mind-washing machine my mind will regain its freedom.

• DubR
    DubR

I bet I am the only person who will never read the bible again and never pray again. But I will also never celebrate a birthday or pagan holiday or take blood or salute a flag ect... Yea, im pretty messed up lol.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I dont own one now, I gave away my last ever Bible which was an NIV , sometimes I miss not having one to quote the odd verse, but I dont feel my life is poorer not having one. I pray though but only to the Godhead of the Son

• Chalam
    Chalam

I do read it now and then though. My problem is that when I read it and get to some well known verse, the JW training kicks in and reinterprets things for me. That is not a pleasant feeling.

Agreed! I guess you are reading the NWT? Try a different version BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions ...

Any of the versions here are better than the NWT and the different wording will keep your mind away from the false WT doctrines.

Try the CEV or the NCV versions maybe?

I try just to concentrate on the words and context itself, to let the word explain itself for me. Praying for understanding could also help. I hope it's a temporary thing, and after being away from the mind-washing machine my mind will regain its freedom.

Indeed, the Holy Spirit is the only way to understand the spiritual meaning behind the text so ask Him :)

English Standard Version (ESV)
    John 14:26

Listen to this passage
    View commentary related to this passage

26 But the (A) Helper, the Holy Spirit, (B) whom the Father will send in my name, (C) he will teach you all things and (D) bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Cross references:
    1. John 14:26 : John 14:16
    2. John 14:26 : Luke 24:49; Acts 2:33, with John 15:26; 16:7
    3. John 14:26 : John 16:13; 1 Cor 2:10; 1 John 2:20, 27
    4. John 14:26 : John 2:22

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

John 16:13

Listen to this passage

13 When (A) the Spirit of truth comes, (B) he will (C) guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but (D) whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

Cross references:
    1. John 16:13 : John 14:17
    2. John 16:13 : John 14:26
    3. John 16:13 : Acts 8:31; John 1:17; 14:6; Psalm 25:5
    4. John 16:13 : John 15:15

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers.

1 Corinthians 2:10

Listen to this passage

10 these things (A) God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even (B) the depths of God.

Cross references:
    1. 1 Corinthians 2:10 : Matt 16:17; Gal 1:12, 16; Eph 3:3, 5; John 14:26
    2. 1 Corinthians 2:10 : Rev 2:24

1 Corinthians 2:14

Listen to this passage

14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are (A) folly to him, and (B) he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Cross references:
    1. 1 Corinthians 2:14 : 1 Corinthians 1:18
    2. 1 Corinthians 2:14 : Rom 8:7

1 John 2:20

Listen to this passage

20 But you have been (A) anointed by (B) the Holy One, and (C) you all have knowledge. [a]

Footnotes:
    1. 1 John 2:20 Some manuscripts you know everything
    Cross references:
    1. 1 John 2:20 : 1 John 2:27; 2 Cor 1:21
    2. 1 John 2:20 : Mark 1:24
    3. 1 John 2:20 : 1 John 2:27; John 14:26

1 John 2:27

Listen to this passage

27 But (A) the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and (B) you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and (C) is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

Cross references:
    1. 1 John 2:27 : 1 John 2:20
    2. 1 John 2:27 : Jer 31:34; Heb 8:11
    3. 1 John 2:27 : John 14:17

Blessings,

Stephen

• bohm
    bohm

I dont believe that the Bible is inspired by God no more... If I read the Bible now, its only because of its historical value.

- Miss Bohm

• moshe
    moshe

Master to Caine:

It is the same with a man. His false beliefs must die, so that he may know the joy of the Way. What you felt in the Silence is real. Something in you is dying. It is called Ignorance.

• teel
    teel

Reading a Bible with a very different writing style could also help... like the ones written for children, where all the garnish was replaced with a flowing story. I find those versions a bit watered down, but as a transition it could help.

Edit: thanks Chalam, I just thought of that while you were posting your ideas Since I'm not english, I read an other version, translated by an inter-denominational committee about 20 years ago, but it's still too close to the NWT to pass through the mind conditioning unaltered.

• Chalam
    Chalam

For sure

Here's those same verses form the NCV for example

New Century Version (NCV)

26 But the Helper will teach you everything and will cause you to remember all that I told you. This Helper is the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name.

The Holy Bible, New Century Version®. Copyright © 2005 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

13 But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you into all truth. He will not speak his own words, but he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is to come.

10 But God has shown us these things through the Spirit.

The Spirit searches out all things, even the deep secrets of God.

14 A person who does not have the Spirit does not accept the truths that come from the Spirit of God. That person thinks they are foolish and cannot understand them, because they can only be judged to be true by the Spirit.

20 You have the gift [a] that the Holy One gave you, so you all know the truth. [b]

Footnotes:
    1. 1 John 2:20 gift This might mean the Holy Spirit, or it might mean teaching or truth as in verse 24.
    2. 1 John 2:20 you . . . truth Some Greek copies read "so you know all things."

27 Christ gave you a special gift that is still in you, so you do not need any other teacher. His gift teaches you about everything, and it is true, not false. So continue to live in Christ, as his gift taught you.

And the CEV

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

Listen to this passage

26 But the Holy Spirit will come and help [a] you, because the Father will send the Spirit to take my place. The Spirit will teach you everything and will remind you of what I said while I was with you.

Footnotes:
    1. John 14:26 help: See the note at 14.16.

Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society

Listen to this passage

13 The Spirit shows what is true and will come and guide you into the full truth. The Spirit doesn't speak on his own. He will tell you only what he has heard from me, and he will let you know what is going to happen.

Listen to this passage

10 God's Spirit has shown you everything. His Spirit finds out everything, even what is deep in the mind of God.

Listen to this passage

14 That's why only someone who has God's Spirit can understand spiritual blessings. Anyone who doesn't have God's Spirit thinks these blessings are foolish.

Listen to this passage

20 Christ, the Holy One, [a] has blessed [b] you, and now all of you understand. [c]

Footnotes:
    1. 1 John 2:20 Christ, the Holy One: The Greek text has "the Holy One" which may refer either to Christ or to God the Father.
    2. 1 John 2:20 blessed: This translates a word which means "to pour olive oil on (someone's head)." In Old Testament times it was the custom to pour olive oil on a person's head when that person was chosen to be a priest or a king. Here the meaning is not clear. It may refer to the ceremony of pouring olive oil on the followers of the Lord right before they were baptized or it may refer to the gift of the Holy Spirit which they were given at baptism (see verse 27).
    3. 1 John 2:20 now all of you understand: Some manuscripts have "you understand all things."

Listen to this passage

27 But Christ has blessed you with the Holy Spirit. [a] Now the Spirit stays in you, and you don't need any teachers. The Spirit is truthful and teaches you everything. So stay one in your heart with Christ, just as the Spirit has taught you to do.

Footnotes:
    1. 1 John 2:27 Christ has blessed you with the Holy Spirit: The Greek text has "You received a pouring on of olive oil from him" (see verse 20). The "pouring on of olive oil" is here taken to refer to the gift of the Holy Spirit, and "he" may refer either to Christ or to the Father.

Or you might like The Message paraphrase even more?

The Message (MSG)

25-27 "I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught.

The Message (MSG)

Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

12-15 "I still have many things to tell you, but you can't handle them now. But when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is. He won't draw attention to himself, but will make sense out of what is about to happen and, indeed, out of all that I have done and said. He will honor me; he will take from me and deliver it to you. Everything the Father has is also mine. That is why I've said, 'He takes from me and delivers to you.'

The Message (MSG)

6-10 We, of course, have plenty of wisdom to pass on to you once you get your feet on firm spiritual ground, but it's not popular wisdom, the fashionable wisdom of high-priced experts that will be out-of-date in a year or so. God's wisdom is something mysterious that goes deep into the interior of his purposes. You don't find it lying around on the surface. It's not the latest message, but more like the oldest—what God determined as the way to bring out his best in us, long before we ever arrived on the scene. The experts of our day haven't a clue about what this eternal plan is. If they had, they wouldn't have killed the Master of the God-designed life on a cross. That's why we have this Scripture text:

No one's ever seen or heard anything like this,
    Never so much as imagined anything quite like it—
    What God has arranged for those who love him.
    But you've seen and heard it because God by his Spirit has brought it all out into the open before you.

10-13 The Spirit, not content to flit around on the surface, dives into the depths of God, and brings out what God planned all along. Who ever knows what you're thinking and planning except you yourself? The same with God—except that he not only knows what he's thinking, but he lets us in on it. God offers a full report on the gifts of life and salvation that he is giving us. We don't have to rely on the world's guesses and opinions. We didn't learn this by reading books or going to school; we learned it from God, who taught us person-to-person through Jesus, and we're passing it on to you in the same firsthand, personal way.

The Message (MSG)

14-16 The unspiritual self, just as it is by nature, can't receive the gifts of God's Spirit. There's no capacity for them. They seem like so much silliness. Spirit can be known only by spirit—God's Spirit and our spirits in open communion. Spiritually alive, we have access to everything God's Spirit is doing, and can't be judged by unspiritual critics. Isaiah's question, "Is there anyone around who knows God's Spirit, anyone who knows what he is doing?" has been answered: Christ knows, and we have Christ's Spirit.

The Message (MSG)

20-21 But you belong. The Holy One anointed you, and you all know it. I haven't been writing this to tell you something you don't know, but to confirm the truth you do know, and to remind you that the truth doesn't breed lies.

The Message (MSG)

26-27 I've written to warn you about those who are trying to deceive you. But they're no match for what is embedded deeply within you—Christ's anointing, no less! You don't need any of their so-called teaching. Christ's anointing teaches you the truth on everything you need to know about yourself and him, uncontaminated by a single lie. Live deeply in what you were taught.

The Message (MSG)

Blessings,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi teel,

Since I'm not english, I read an other version, translated by an inter-denominational committee about 20 years ago, but it's still too close to the NWT to pass through the mind conditioning unaltered.

For sure, anything that even resembles the NWT isn't good.

There are plenty of foreign language bibles there too :) Available Versions

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit