Has the wts ever declared what they consider constitutes a cult?

by Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice. 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Blondie perhaps? Has the wts ever put in print what in their opinion is a cult? A bold move on their part to be sure, but definitely within the scope of their brashness.

Cheeses.

• alanv
    alanv

Excellant question. I too would be really interested to see what the borg say about this. They would have to be so careful what they did say. I can just imagine some witnesses saying 'hang on a minute that's what the Watchtower is like.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

ditto ditto

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

When I was a JW, I was told ....cults follow men, and JW's follow Jehovah.

lisa

• fokyc
    fokyc

Not Blondie it's fokyc here:

Watchtower 1994 February 15 pp.3-4 Cults—What Are They?

FEBRUARY 28, 1993—more than a hundred law-enforcement agents raided a compound of buildings housing dozens of men, women, and children. The object was to search for illegal weapons and to arrest a suspected criminal. The agents, however, were caught by surprise when a hail of bullets came flying toward them from inside the buildings. They returned the fire.

This confrontation left ten dead and several wounded. During the following 50 days, hundreds of government agents laid siege to the compound with enough guns to wage a small war. The standoff ended in a showdown that left 86 dead, including at least 17 children.

But who was the enemy? An army of drug-dealing mobsters? A guerrilla faction? No. As you may know, the "enemy" was a group of religious devotees, members of a cult. Their tragedy made an inconspicuous community on the plains of central Texas, U.S.A., the focus of international attention. The news media flooded the airwaves and the printed page with a barrage of reports, analyses, and comments on the dangers of fanatical cults.

The public was reminded of previous instances in which cult members were led to death by their leaders: the 1969 Manson murders in California; the 1978 mass suicide of cult members in Jonestown, Guyana; the 1987 murder-suicide pact engineered by cult leader Park Soon-ja of Korea, which resulted in the death of 32 members. Significantly, most of these people claimed to be Christians and professed belief in the Bible.

Understandably, many who respect the Bible as the Word of God are appalled at the brazen misuse of the Scriptures by these cults. As a result, over the years hundreds of organizations have been established for the purpose of monitoring cults and exposing their dangerous practices. Experts on cult behavior predict that the coming of a new millennium in a few years may trigger the proliferation of cults. One news magazine noted that according to anticult groups, there are thousands of cults "out there poised to snatch your body, control your mind, corrupt your soul. . . . Few are armed but most are considered dangerous. They’ll seduce you and fleece you, marry and bury you.

What Is a Cult?

The term "cult" is used loosely by many who may not be fully aware of its connotations. To prevent confusion, some theologians actually avoid using the term.

The WorldBookEncyclopedia explains that "traditionally, the term cult referred to any form of worship or ritual observance." By that criterion, all religious organizations could be classified as cults. However, in general usage today, the word "cult" has a different meaning. The same encyclopedia notes that "since the mid-1900’s, publicity about cults has altered the meaning of the term. Today, the term is applied to groups that follow a living leader who promotes new and unorthodox doctrines and practices."

Endorsing the popular usage of the term, Newsweek magazine explains that cults "are normally small, fringe groups whose members derive their identity and purpose from a single, charismatic individual." Similarly, Asiaweek magazine notes that "the term [cult] itself is vague, but it usually denotes a new religious creed built around a charismatic leader, who often proclaims himself to be the personification of God."

The language used in a joint resolution of the 100th Congress of the State of Maryland, U.S.A., also conveys the derogatory connotation of the term cult. The resolution states that "a cult is a group or movement exhibiting excessive devotion to a person or idea and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control to advance the goals of its leaders."

Clearly, cults are generally understood to be religious groups with radical views and practices that clash with what is accepted today as normal social behavior. Usually they conduct their religious activities in secrecy. Many of these cultic groups actually isolate themselves in communes. Their devotion to a self-proclaimed human leader is likely to be unconditional and exclusive. Often these leaders boast of having been divinely chosen or even of being themselves divine in nature.

Occasionally, anticult organizations and the media have referred to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a cult. A number of recent newspaper articles lump the Witnesses with religious groups known for their questionable practices. But would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a small fringe religious group? Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah’s Witnesses? Are the Witnesses using deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members?

Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah’s Witnesses do this? Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a human leader? Pointedly, are Jehovah’s Witnesses a cult?

from 2008 CD-ROM

fokyc

• fokyc
    fokyc

Sorry about the formatting, just hope it answers the question.

I think if you read carefully, it is typical JW speak, ducking the straight answer,

then asking 5 more questions which you asked in the first place.

fokyc

• teel
    teel

Thanks fokyc. I remember reading this a long time ago, didn't pay much attention to it then. Brainwashing does strange things to one's perception of reality.

Now, if I were to answer those questions at the end, I would be hard pressed not to say a firm Yes to all of them.

JWs isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society - see: shunning, worldly people, etc.

They use deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit - one of my biggest problem with them, there's so much they don't tell new recruits.

Cult leaders use manipulative methods - they use fear as the main tool.

Some of their worship is cloacked in secrecy - well, probably this is the only one, where I can't say a firm Yes, only a small "yes". They have things that followers don't know about but they should. Like how exactly does the Holy Spirit direct the GB? Almost no JW knows of the 60% rule.

They are definately following human leaders - all their teaching comes from a group of men. If one finds a teaching to contradict the Bible, he's told to "wait for Jehovah", meaning accept and follow the human interpretation instead of what you understood from the Bible.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for posting Fokyc,

looking at the questions at the end, any truthful person, not a brainwashed Dub, but one who knows how they work and how they are, would have to answer YES to each question,so by their own hand they identify themselves as cult whilst trying to do the opposite !

Love

Wobble

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

fokyc - Thank you for your prompt reply which answers my question exactly.

I agree with several other posters that by their own defintion they are a cult. But try getting the R&F to acknowledge that matter.

Cheeses.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Occasionally, anticult organizations and the media have referred to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a cult. A number of recent newspaper articles lump the Witnesses with religious groups known for their questionable practices. But would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah’s Witnesses as a small fringe religious group?

In comparison, YES it would. But I don't really think that's the most important aspect of a cult, despite WTS listing it first and foremost. They started out as a small fringe group. So did the Mormons and Scientology. Their focus on size is self-serving.

Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah’s Witnesses?

The JW's definitely fit this description. They isolate themselves totally from former believers in the family. They discourage family gatherings by discouraging holiday gatherings. That's the time people in the family are able to get together. They also discourage attending church weddings that outsider family might be having. They do promote avoiding "society in general." Sure, they tell themselves that they go to work and go out in the community, but that's to earn a living and to recruit. They frown on social activities with outsiders.

Are the Witnesses using deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
    Deny, deny, deny. Of course they do. They just don't see it. The article was written before the "members only" mags were written, but we all know they keep things from potential recruits. They use standard cult techniques especially in retention, but also in recruiting- control the behavior, information, thoughts, and emotions. Love-bomb. Use positive reinforcement of the beliefs in their literature and with those studying with the recruit. Leave out important information about what happens when leaving the group or how the doctrine has changed and how you must change with it.

Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah’s Witnesses do this? Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a human leader? Pointedly, are Jehovah’s Witnesses a cult?

Just in case anyone tries to say YES to all of that, they throw in the "human leader" thing again. Cults can change over time and stop following a human leader. I know the GB still qualifies as that leader group, but the members don't even fully realize that. Their charismatic leader is "Jehovah" and WT Organization substitutes for Him.

They don't name groups except for these absolutely whacko extremes because it might start to point the finger at themselves. They like to let the members think you have to hole-up in a commune and have a leader impregnating the teens to be a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit