Has the wts ever declared what they consider constitutes a cult?

by Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice. 13 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Here's the newsweek article quoted in that 1994 Watchtower. I didn't spot any quote-mining on a brief skim of it.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/111177/output/print

• doublelife
    doublelife

I'm at work so I can't post it but the reasoning book has a whole section on cults and has an outline of the qualities of a cult.

• darnkid
    darnkid

I am reading Crisis of Conscience by Raymon Franz. They definitely ARE a cult. He doesn't say it, but the accounts he gives and how they play with peoples lives-I can't see how they would not be a cult. It is so sad and scary, still having my children in that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The follow on article in that same Watchtower is relevant too, WT 1994 15/2 p 5-7

"Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

They answer that their meetings are open to all, and they have a reputation for good behavior.

They say they are not a small fringe group, and are recognized as a religion in all major countries

They say they do not isolate themselves and ". When disasters strike, they are quick to respond with relief supplies and other humanitarian assistance."

They say they are "Absorbed in humanity" and have strict adherence to The Bible. They claim to have no clergy and recognize no man as their leader

So they deny the charge of being a cult....

(format gremlins strike again!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit