Geeks like me who would like to talk about smartphones should read here....

by AllTimeJeff 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

You will be able get your gmail through the native iPhone program for it. The best thing to me about the Google App from the App store is the voice recognition. As long as you speak clearly, you can give the name of a restaraunt, a newspaper, etc, and it will post your voice query as if you typed it. It is very handy when on the road.

From there, if you are for example, looking for directions, you can hit the get directions button and it will launch google maps and you can use your current location to get turn by turn directions right on your phone.

The apps within the Google App tool simply launches a new safari window as opposed to opening up within the Google app. It's not what I had in mind, and I am sure Google is working on that.

Yahoo's app is free and has similar features, except that it opens up within the Yahoo App as well as giving you the option of opening it up on iPhone Safari. If I didn't have all my stuff on Google, the Yahoo app would work better as an app within the iPhone.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Thanks Jeff will look into that

I've only had the phone for a few days now so still learning what this phone can do

• megs
    megs

For the 16G it's $199 with a three year plan here :(

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Canada sure is getting socked by ATT. Of course, the government regulations up there are different, which accounts for a lot of it. That and the Canadian dollar is kicking the American dollars butt lately... lol

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

It might be worthy to wait , there are two more service providers that are now putting the Iphone into their line so expect some competitive pricing soon.

In BC there are now 5 different SP now, not quite sure whats going on in Alberta but being your close I'm guessing its similar.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

There seems to be more Cell phone companies or SP up here don't know why that is.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I have the Samsung Omnia 8g + 16g SD card, great phone, as normal I never use most of the features. Cost here in Australia is free on $59 monthly plan over 2 years. Love the WiFi feature.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I have a Blackberry which is quite handy, use it for work and home. Very handy for the intertubes and accessing my e-mails. I did try a nokia smartphone with a touchscreen and foldout keypad, the touchscreen buttons fired the motor that is used when the phone is on silent/vibrate. It worked really well, felt like you were pressing a real button. I have held off of buying an I-Phone because I hate I-Tunes so much.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have a Blackberry 8800 that I only turn on 2-3 times a year. I keep forgetting that I have it and I keep forgetting to cancel the service. What a waste of money.

W

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I can upgrade this week to an iPhone 3GS with my O2 Network, £40/month unlimited browsing, I also bought a Sony Ericsson Statio but it's no where near as sexy as the iPhone

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit