Geeks like me who would like to talk about smartphones should read here....

by AllTimeJeff 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hello. One of my passions in life unaffected from my JW exit is electronics. Lately, my focus is on smartphones....

I got an iPhone the day it came out, and reupped for 2 more years with the 3G (not the 3GS). Some days I wish I got the 3GS for the better processor, but the 3G is faster and slimmer in my hand. The apps are great, and the phone quality is much better on the 3G model. Plus it is also an iPod, which rocks out.... I love it. A lot.

The biggest weakness for the iPhone imo is ATT. Their network isn't very 3G friendly. I got to look at the new Motorola Droid for Verizon, and I have to say, it isn't an iPhone killer, but it is a very good, different smart phone. I am curious to see how Verizons network will be affected if this phone takes off and sucks up a bunch of bandwith.

I also have a Blackberry from work. It's an 8310 (we are on ATT at work too) and since a lot of other managers have the iPhone for work, we aren't going to Verizon.

Funny thing is, I don't like the idea of an iPhone for work. If I ever ran my own business again, I would proabably get a Blackberry instead. It just feels more rugged for work, and the keys are great for email and texts....

Just curious if you had any thoughts on smartphones as they become more and more popular? Palm Pre's and Pixies? HTC? They are starting to take over....

• megs
    megs

I LOVE my iPod touch and want to upgrade to the iPhone 3G... only thing here in Canada is that it is SO expensive!!! Is there competitive pricing in the US?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

In the US, the 3G is $99 with 2 year service agreement, although I heard that the 8gb 3GS will be at $99 after Thanksgiving... (rumor there right now... CNet is usually pretty plugged into iPhone rumors thought)

My package is $40 for phone, $40 for data and text, before tax. It's expensive, but for me, I am on the road a lot, so its worth it.... Definitely not a necessity, but sometimes it feels like it....

How much is it going for in Canada?

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I would have to agree with you , I recently got an Iphone 3GS for personal use and I like it a lot, in my opinion

the Iphone is a great multi-media phone, but as a good phone for a business purposes the Blackberries might be a better choice.

I have heard that down in the States people are having problems with ATT , but up here in Canada we have totality different providers.

Checked out the Palm Pre and it was on top of the list of phones to purchase but I found the small keyboard to be a bit cumbersome

( have large hands ) So if I were working in a office /business environment where employees were texting and e-mailing frequently to one another

and a multi-media aspect was unimportant I would definably choose a full sized Blackberry.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I just purchased the 32g. version of the 3Gs for 299 on a 3 year contract, haven't seen an 8g. version of that phone.

The 3G 8g. goes for 99 on a contract.

There are some interesting apps. for this phone, apparently 100,000 and counting.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As much as I love my iPhone, I am having a major crush on Blackberry's. There's something about a real keyboard.

Having said that, the virtual keyboard on an iPhone is a lot faster to type on for me. It does take some getting used to, and you have to pay attention, but it works pretty well for me.

I love how the Pre works, but those keys they stole right off the Treo. How dumb! Otherwise, its a winner in my book.

I want one of each.... lol

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Homer, if you just got an iPhone, have fun in the App store... Facebook is a must app. I have only paid for one app, the ESPN radio app, so I can listen to them wherever I am.

The Google App is great with voice recognitioin. It works pretty well, unless you are in a noisy car. I have yet to use "Bump" but thats only because I haven't met you or Mrs Jones yet....

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes I like punching real buttons too, I like the tacile feel of real buttons.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I used the Bold once... Didn't like it. I hear the Bold 2 is better for that tactile touchscreen experience, but having got use to the iPhone, I didn't like it on first use....

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Could you tell me about that Google App, I have Gmail and Google maps of course, I'm curious about that voice recognition ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit