To Brine or Not To Brine

by BlackSwan of Memphis 22 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Turkey can be quite dry and tough and I think bringing helps in flavouring and tenderizing the meat.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Personally, I would not think of cooking a turkey without brining it first.

Yes, you can add all sorts of spices and flavors. But the main purpose of brining is for the the bird to retain its juices. In turkeys (which don't have much flavor to start with) the breast will often dry out before thighs are cooked. The brining helps to keep everything juicy.

I tend to lighten up on the salt a bit but give it a bit more time.

My recipe:

Put the bird into the pot for brining (don't use aluminum). Pour in water until the bird is completely covered. Take the bird out of the pot. Measure approximately how much water is in the pot (you don't have to be exact). Heat the water a bit as it will make mixing the salt in easier.

For each gallon of water, I use about 2/3 cup of non-iodized salt, a cup of white wine, 3 minced garlic cloves and then coarsely chop a handful of whatever fresh herbs you have on hand (oregano, sage, thyme, cilantro, basil, etc). I try not to use dry herbs since I have a garden, but if you must, about a tablespoon of each. Then, in the pot, quarter a whole onion and green pepper (just one of each regardless of the size of the bird).

Cool the brine in refrigerator. I ususally add some ice cubes to get it cooling quicker. When cool add the bird. Brine for 1 hour per pound. So a 12 lb bird will take about 12 hours.

You will not be disappointed.

Rub a Dub

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Absolutely brine. I have a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket that is used for nothing but that. It really helps keep it from drying out. I also wouldn't cook my turkey without a remote meat thermometer, so it won't overcook.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I have a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket that is used for nothing but that.

Flat or semi-gloss?

Rub a Dub

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I've never brined a turkey. But lately I've been brining chickens to roast in my new convection oven.

Wow. I love birds cooked that way, cant wait to try it on a turkey!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Brining?

You mean soaking them in salt water?

Don't know if producers are allowed to do it in the US and Canada, but over here a lot of poultry, especially when mass-processed, is pre-brined

- it makes it look all fresh and shiny as well as increasing the weight! (Ever wonder why your chicken comes out of the oven half the size it was raw? That's your answer!)

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Yes, brine. Here's Alton Brown's:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Brining adds moisture and seasoning. We're also adding chile peppers this year!

Don't confuse brining with the mere water injection some supermarket birds get to boost weight.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Don't confuse brining with the mere water injection some supermarket birds get to boost weight.

Trust me - its not always just water they inject!

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Always brine my birds

I also give them a bit of smoke too

(In the smoker not the Huka)

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

My husband brined our turkey and then smoked it and it was hands down the best turkey we have ever had. Brining keeps the turkey moist whether you roast it or smoke it. I would recommend brining it for 1 hour for every 3 lbs or a 3 hour minimum. We had a 28 lb turkey so we brined ours overnight. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit