To Brine or Not To Brine

by BlackSwan of Memphis 22 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

That is the question.

The turkey that is.

I've brined for 2 years now, but am not sure if i want to do that this year.

Anyone else brine their birds?

• avishai
    avishai

I do, because it's necessary to brine if you are gonna smoke the bird.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Okkkkkay. What if I'm just roasting? I have made very few birds in my short life and have little experience in the ways of turkey roasting.

What exactly does brining DO????

• restrangled
    restrangled

Black Swan,

I brined for a couple of years and gave it up. I thought it was pulling out impurities, etc.

All it did was make an extra big pot and mess for me to clean. I noticed no difference in the bird.

r.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

hmmmm i've never smoked a bird....... what goes into that i wonder? that could be interesting

r. yah, it's a mess alright, it was a bit wild. I had read about it in my Martha Stewart mag the first year and thought, hm, this is neat. Then I tried it again last year and in all, the birds were good. But yah, if it's not going to make a difference...well why bother?

I'm on food network right now looking at recipes.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Avi, izn't it hard to keep the bird lit after you've got it soaked?

Ah... ha ha ha ha!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I brined a couple of times and liked it. This year were cooking a heritage bird, I'm told that they have a lot more flavor than the factory farm birds and don't need special treatment. If I remember it I'll post a report Friday.

• Balsam
    Balsam

My husband has brined our turkeys for the past 3 years and he brines it in salt, honey and vegetable stock for at least 12 hrs. He then roast it in the oven. It is unfailing good and everyone we've ever had for Thanksgiving loves it. He got his recipe from Alton Brown on the food channel. He is an awesome cook.

Ruth & Howard

• Gregor
    Gregor

Brining has always worked out well for my birds. Make sure the bird is thawed and I wouldn't leave it in for more than overnight (8 hrs) Rinse thoroughly and rub well with your seasoning mixed with olive oil. Low and slow, baste with pan drippings toward the end and crank up the heat, watch that it doesn't get too brown , I wrap the wing tips in foil. I butterflied the bird once, cooks nicely and a dream to carve but a lot of trub and it looks odd in presentation.

• avishai
    avishai
    hmmmm i've never smoked a bird....... what goes into that i wonder? that could be interesting
    Avi, izn't it hard to keep the bird lit after you've got it soaked?
    Ah... ha ha ha ha!

Yeah, it's getting harder and harderto find cheech and chong's "Big Bambu" album, which is necessary because that's the only place i can find papers big enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit