Mom flies into red rage because I was "attacking" the JWs...

by Kudra 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

Background to the conversation:

I called my parents excited to be having them come out for Thanksgiving break. In the conversation my dad (not a JW) brought up that Michael Jackson's glove just sold for $300,000 while a recently found first edition copy of Darwin's On the Origin of Species sold for only $100,000.

This was the conversation:

Yadda yadda, talking about the glove's value vs. the book's...

My dad also tells us that it was found in the bathroom of a really old house. (which is actually kind of funny)

So my mom (the JW) says (excitedly and sort of meanly but also laughing a little) "Yeah! I hope it was in there being used for what it should be used for -toilet paper!"

I say, "Sheesh, the things that were written in that book, 150 years ago are still true and being taught today. If you take any Watchtower from that time, 150 years ago, nothing in it is true anymore- it has all been changed."

My mom gets soooo mad- "oh! I can't have you being so negative and tearing down -this is really bad, I don't even want to come visit now!"

Me: "I wasn't being negative- I am just talking about facts- it's true that you don't teach anything in those old Watchtowers as true anymore."

Mom: hurumphing sound.

So she is quiet for a few more minutes while my dad tries to kind of make up for it in the conversation. In a little while she starts talking again, not bringing the Darwin subject up again, but joining in nicely with the conversation.

So I guess all is fine and she is looking forward to coming.

My point is, that she made a really crappy statement on one of the finest books written, a subject that has revolutionized almost every scientific field and improved medicine for everyone. Then when I point out a fact about that book vs Watchtowers written at that same time, she literally can't take it and goes into a red rage. I love my mom and we are very close but this area is so divisive.

I am sure this is a scene that has played out in many a house.

Facts are neither positive or negative: they just are.

-K

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

you did great

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Your mother, like so many other JWs, is living in a fantasy land and they refuse to let things like facts burst their bubble.

No Apologies

• cantleave
    cantleave

Weldone Kudra - stick to your guns.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • Kudra
    Kudra

Thanks purps. I really try to portray myself as very reasonable to the JWs as I don't want to be viewed as some negative crazy-eyed apostate (there were a bunch of those in our town growing up) because I know exactly the response that garners. I guess I let it go and it really didn't flare up badly at all. Maybe "red rage" was a bit of an exaggeration... but my mom did get a LOT madder that I have seen her get in a while.

After rereading my post I realize that I have nothing to complain about compared to many people on this forum. At least my mom talks to me -often 3-4 times a week! She is always sending care packages, getting us to come visit, even coming to visit us. I just can't stand that in some areas, my mom has been turned into an ignorant fool by subscribing to the beliefs of the JWs. She is very intelligent and has good taste in art etc so it really makes me cringe to hear her say things like the above.

• Kudra
    Kudra

thanks guys :)

B the X- that is awesome... and an ebay link to boot! ;)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Kudra,

As I make more non-JW friends, I know several families that can't discuss politics without it ruining the occasion. So, this is the same... only different.

• journey-on
    journey-on

The WTS is their precious baby, and when you criticize it, it's like saying "your baby is ugly" (even if it's true). They just can't handle the truth!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You did fine..

Jehovah`s Witness`s..

Can`t handle the Truth..

..................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit