Would you call me an apostate?

by AwSnap 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

....or be worried that I was 'checking out apostate sites' if a scenario like this happened?...

Let's say theres a birthday for a loved one in my jw family. I have been out of the trooF for a very long time but rarely make comments that disagree with their beliefs. They know I do not view the witnesses as the "truth", and I was busted about 3 years ago for checking out apostate internet sites but played it off like I stumbled upon them but didn't find anything of interest.

I'm planning on sending a Birthday card to my sibling...the parent of the baby involved. It says something like this:
    "Sorry, I couldn't resist. I figure, Hey, if 2 dead people in the B is a good reason to not have a special day for a child's day of birth, then I guess we shouldnt wear makeup either since ol' jezeebel was the only one to wear makeup in the B. Soooo, I am SOoooo grateful my lil ____ was born a year ago & I LOVE having a special day to mark in my calender to tell h__ so. ;-P ;-D Don't hate me...I've been up since 6a & it's 7p now. tired! LOve you and LOVE M_______!!!

Would apostate alert enter your mind, or would you think "okay, awsnap shouldn't have said that, but whatever."?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think you know the answer to your question

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Awww, C'mon. It's the weirdest thing. I am grateful that they associate with me, despite their knowing I do not "believe" (I suspect they feel that I was baptized at such a young age and never really grasped the "truth" so they give me leeway & the elders haven't pressured them to quit talking to me). I'm at a point in life where I've read Crisis of Conscience, Steven Hassan's books, and have been able to toss out little "thought provoking" questions here and there. I'm also at a point in life where I REALLY want to DA...but not yet. Not ready to do it yet....but I'm also REALLY sick of not being able to BE ME to them. You don't think that card is innocent enough without shouting APOSTATE from the rooftops?

Ok, Mrs. Jones...I see what you're saying. I guess I'm feeling a bit insecure sending it, so I'm asking for support...unless you think it would really be a bad move

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Aw you know better than that. There's no such thing as an innocent birthday card in jwland. I understand the feeling of being sick and tired of being controled but if you're not ready to DA best not to rock the boat too much just yet.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Well, poop....it was just an E-card that could easily and quickly be deleted by the reader. I already have semi-sent it but it won't be delivered until the actual birthday (birthdayalarm.com ROCKS by the way...it's free for a year and then just $10 dollars annually and you'll never forget a friend's birthday or anniversary again!). Any other thoughts are welcome, although I suspect I know what the answer will be to them too.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Shh...don't cry. It's gonna be alright. You're only being a totally sweet person instead of an unfeeling bOrgian.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

*sniffle*....well, I think I'm going to keep it in the process of sending it and think it over for a couple of days. Although...that scene from My Best Friends Wedding just popped into my mind, when Julia Roberts accidentally sends that email to her best friends boss, getting him fired. She meant to delete it but somehow it got sent. Uhhhhhh...nevermind.

I've just been in the whole "not rockin' the boat" thing for so many years...it's getting harder and harder. And to many here, I've got it good with my family still talking to me, so I should just suck it up and keep not saying anything. Dontch'ya just LOVE coming from a cult? *sigh*

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah I love it big time shoot now I'm crying. Gotta grab one of my kids to cheer me up.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Why the guilt? Just keep being true to yourself.

ESTEE

• mysterious437
    mysterious437

Apostate might be a bit harsh but definitely a "pagan" a "stumbler" and other such.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit