The real harm done by the WTBTS

by HappyGuy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HappyGuy, Your post is very well written and hits the nail on the head. I could not have said it better. I had to laugh when you said 'what the f#ck does that mean' when quoting their tired expression of putting Jehovah first. To me I likened it to jumping out of a plane without a parachute and if I didn't take this insane leap then I guess I had no faith. Yeah, whatever. When I looked around me I didn't see anybody intelligent doing this. You are also right about how they are not REAL scholars when compared to somebody who really knows what they are talking about.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Of course, the WTBTS tells you that all you need is to "put Jehovah first (whatever in the fuck that means)"

It is a code word. It means to commit suicide for the Society, or have your children sacrificed to die unloved.

unloved JW children

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Great post - an excellent summation of what's wrong with this cult. When I began to fade, I truly believed it was just a 'religion' with a lot of problems. Now, I fully see it for what it is, a damn cult. Reading Steven Hassan's book, I have felt so many OMG moments where he hit the nail right on the head. I'm desperately trying to figure out a way to slip my parents this book, so perhaps they can see it for what it is and get out while they still have years left to enjoy.

The point is that the WTBTS sets itself up as the ultimate, final, and only authority for every aspect of life in a JWs life and then provides NOTHING of value for really critical issues.

Monopoly on the truth. Another defining characteristic of a true cult.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

HappyGuy:

Without writing how I really feel about wts and especially GB, I will just simply say that I totally agree with you. If I were to express my feelings on this there would be just too much cursing involved.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, bravo.

I needed some real help for so long. It felt great to actually realize it was them and not me. I got that real help.
    But there is some serious residual feelings about WTS. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING about them is really like a bizarro upside down thing. All their "help" is a hinderance. All their "keeping separate from the world" and "seeking the Kingdom first" junk leads to paranoid delusions of Satan in anything from the outside.

One of the worst things is that seriously depressed and otherwise mentally disturbed people (nothing shameful in that, I have depression) are attracted to the JW's and they deal with them in about the most opposite way of how they should. They tell someone who says they are depressed to DO MORE and see Jah's blessing upon them. They do more and still don't see it, so they figure it must be Jah rejecting them, then they are more depressed or even suicidal.

• Violia
    Violia

HappyGuy

I really enjoy your posts.

A turning point for me was when I realzied this simple thing: any religion that tells you to not talk to family or friends based on their rules -that is a bad religion. Religion is supposed to comfort people in times of need and bring familes together. Any religion that does not do that is a bad religion. It was such a simple idea- but for me it was what helped me walk out that door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit