"No organisation for me!" A question for ex JW Christians

by Chalam 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Uh, oh. Grab your Bibles and prepare for a little guilt inducing preaching. Nevermind that ancient book is the worlds number one instrument for controlling people. Nevermind that every church uses it in one way or another to do that. Nevermind that it is full of silly myths and legends and unfulfilled prophecy. Nevermind that millions have died in religious fervor while it was thumped on the pulpit. Nevermind that none of the Gospels are correctly credited to the names under which they are listed. On and on..... Just get your Bible and follow along as you are led. After all, it is in the Bible........ Geesh. Make sure your nose-ring is secure when they attach the rope folks.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Just to add to Jeff's comment, if you should be gathering at church because it's in the Bible, then you should be selling ALL your belongings, giving the proceeds to the poor, and following Christ. Do you own a computer or a television or a cell phone? Do you have furniture? Sell it all. It's in the Bible. Do it.

Either you do everything in the Bible (and I didn't even go into the OT) or you cannot hold up your favorite guilt scriptures.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi Stephen

I feel that most other organisations under the heading of "church" want you to confirm to certain beliefs - be it paying a tithe - An apostolic church told me it was a mandate from god that you pay a tithe. or that you should go to "cell" group - this is a weekly gathering where a topic is discussed (reminded me far too much of the bookstudy), the speaking in tongues thing seemed so very fake and a mockery of the holy spirit that and when I asked for a translation it wasn't given and I was treated like I was questioning the holy spirit.

The pastor standing up and talking or the select few that are chosen for their testomy - that precisely it - it's their revelation and he's speaking on what he thinks is important.

I'm happy with "if there are 2 or more my name, I am there also"

I'm happy with being led of the spirit and not of man.

I don't need to go to a literal church to worship or fellowship with my god - my faith, love for him and spirituallity run much deeper than that. And becuase I don't believe the things that they do collectively my imput is not required.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

"Religion is a racket and a snare". If you need community, then join another group of people with the same hobbies or something. Meetup.com has lots of groups that are a lot more fun than a guilt-club.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Agreed, many catholics are way of base and re just following the "tradition of men" rather than the command of God
    Mark 7:8

I disagree, there are traditions of men, and there are Sacred Traditions handed down from the Apostles.

Human tradition: col 2:8

Apostolic Tradition. 2 Thes 2:15 1 Cor. 11:2

The Bible is not a handbook. It does not contain answers such as how to baptize, what to say for a baptismal prayer, who may baptize, who may confer the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands, who may call, who may ordain, how to ordain, what various offices do, etc.

Exactly. The Bible is not a complete compendium of Christian teaching. It is a part.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

No, I don't attend church services, and I seem to be doing fine.

I love talking with other Christians, and would not be averse to having a meetup in my house, once my bad nerves are under control.

Sylvia

• yknot
    yknot

Stephen..

I actual do attend with my husband at his church (SB).

I also attend with my children each Wednesday at their ELCA Lutheran school chapel too.

In the end while I will allow for the possiblity of trinity, I don't actually see it as a strong probablity. Therefore I don't confess such belief and that in itself prevents my acceptance into every congregation in my district territory.

So if I leave the JWs openly.........there really is 'no place to go' in which I would not be banned or restricted in fellowship.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Out of respect for all, I attend any religious institution that I am invited to attend, but I will never be a part of any organized religion.

They all have enough issues that I don't care to be a part of them and to ignore those issues is condoning what JW's do, so I might as well be a JW.

Sometimes I feel "away" from other believers, this I admit, but I don't feel "with them" when I am in a church either.

I don't reognize the authority of any religious organization and while I may respect their right to believe the way they do and formutale doctrine, I will not be a part of it if it is somehting I disagree with.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A church in the scriptural sense is neither a place nor a religion. Where two or three are gathered in Jesus' name, he's there with us.

• yknot
    yknot

Thank you Mad Sweeney for bringing that out !!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit