Religious songs were not allowed to listen to

by Lady Lee 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well the holidays are coming and there all those songs that will be on the radio and TV that we weren't allowed to sing or even listen to.

But there are other songs that weren't holiday songs.

My favorite is Hallelujah by K. D. Lang. I cannot get that one out of my head this morning. I heard a different rendition the other day and kept hearing KD in my head thinking that is where the singer would go. He didn't and then I realized I didn't want him to even attempt KDs version. He would mess it up for me. In my head KD defines how the song should be; passionate and ethereal.

Well Amazing Grace always makes me cry.

A friend of mine sang at his church. I can't even recall the song he sang but his voice was like wrapping up in a warm cozy blanket. My favorite was Hide me in the Shelter and I worship You. Not that I am really into singing them around the house mind you but I really enjoyed them

Another singer's voice in his church moved you to want to dance or sway - just move to his music and voice. Didn't seem to matter what he was singing either.

Certainly not what you heard in the hall

So. . . . whether you are religious now or not are there some sounds you enjoy listening to . . . without the guilt

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`m not religious at all..

But..

I like good "Rock`n Gospel"..

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Hi Lady Lee,

I love Amazing Grace!

When we were still in tower my daughter who was about 10 at the time had a little friend over from the kingdom hall and they were singing songs together. Anyway she burst out in song with Amazing Grace and the other little girl immediately told her she is not allowed to sing that. I was in the other room and overheard.

Next thing my daughter came in and asked me if that was true. I told her no I thought it was a very acceptable song. During the next meeting, the little girl's mom gave me song music cd by a JW singer telling me that this was so I could have "appropriate" songs for the kids. The CD is called the promise by Kent Morrill. I actually still have it, my kids always liked the "dragon" song on it. Anyway this thread reminded me of this experience.

I listen mostly to only Christian or religious music so I have lots of favs, here are a few My family loves the song "our God is an awesome God" sung by Kirk Franklin. His rendition is fast paced with a gospel beat. Of Course "the Dragan" by Kent Morrill. I also love "joy to the world" And as far as a non religious song one I love sung by Christian artist is "cindarella" by Stephen Curtis Chapman. He is one of my fav christian artists but does do some non religious music. I had this song played last year at my daughter's sweet 16 and she danced to it with her dad. There was not a dry eye in the house.

Peace, Lilly

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I can't wait to put "Christmas Time is Here" on my answering machine

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Do You Hear What I Hear

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Amazing Grace is awesome! I remember as a little girl thinking what a pretty song "Silent Night" is.

• blondie
    blondie

Non Christmas songs

Jingle Bells

Let It Snow

Winter Wonderland

Sleigh Ride

Jingle Bell Rock

Frosty the Snowman

Marshmallow World

• trueblue
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

The only religious songs the witlesses are allowed to listen to are contained in a little book called "Sing To Jehovah". There are 135 songs they are supposed to listen to (the other book, containing 225 songs, will continue being used until the first of the year, after which they are supposed to forget about it).

Why they can't allow the witlesses to listen to other religious, or Christmas, songs just because they happen to enjoy the song itself (even if they do not believe the message contained therein)--all that does is creates headaches. There are, in fact, Christmas medleys that contain those winter songs segued to pieces of genuine Christmas songs--and some of those are quite well put together. And, some of the Christmas songs are actually a lot better than any of the Kingdumb maladies.

• VM44
    VM44

How about "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

The Watchtower doesn't have anything like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit