Religious songs were not allowed to listen to

by Lady Lee 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• teel
    teel

My devout JW wife loves Amazing Grace too as do I.

even if they do not believe the message contained therein

The funny thing is many christian songs are denomination-neutral - even more, many so called "holiday songs" like Jingle Bells are not religious at all, yet frowned by JW. Amazing Grace for example almost could fit into the JW songbook as to the ideas in the song - except that 5th verse, which with a bit of a doublethink that is so well known to JW could be interpreted as talking about the resurrection in Paradise.

• mouthy
  • dinah
    dinah

trueblue, yeah, Hells Bells is gospel to me too.

About the only remotely gospel songs that I can tolerate is some Johnny Cash. I do love "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" although it is sad.

• trueblue
    trueblue

trueblue, yeah, Hells Bells is gospel to me too.

About the only remotely gospel songs that I can tolerate is some Johnny Cash. I do love "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" although it is sad.

I think of all songs as Religious songs in a strange way they are all talking about the same thing from there perspective and were they stand in the creation of things.

I have a very wide variety of music that I like. Sense you brought up Johnny Cash I would like to share this video of this gal singing a song Johnny Cash sing only I like her voice much better. She does some real good Elvis too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzD-nfmvbY

• dinah
    dinah

I really loved this song, right before I lost the faith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTNTNzwprs

• bohm
    bohm

I sing in a gospel choir... I just looove the music...it makes me so happy. Its much more touching than the songs they sing in the KH!

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

My parents said that we shouldn't listen to "Imagine"- By Elton John.

or "losing my religion" - by REM

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I still hate xmas music, but here's my "religious song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-pWeTdcqFA

• Scully
    Scully

When I was a kid, I used to hum random music (basically I made up tunes) while I did my homework.

My mom caught me one time and started grilling me about humming "religious" music, saying she would tell my dad and the Elders™. Being a smart-a$$ed teenager, I started grilling her right back, saying she must have recognized the melody from somewhere if it was indeed church music. She was forced to admit that she didn't know it to be church music... it just sounded like church music.

I didn't think it was that good.

My theme song is Imagine by John Lennon.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Amazing Grace has always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I love it and am not the least bit religious.

I'm thoroughly excited, because I'm going to see Trans Siberian Orchestra this weekend. I will always remember the first time I heard Christmas Eve/Sarajevo, I was in a store with my JW roomate, and I wanted to just stop dead in my tracks and listen to it and enjoy it, but I couldn't. It made me want to cry, it was so beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit