Public Defamation = DF'd ???

by Lillith26 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lillith26
    Lillith26
    And, yes, states have different laws. The decision of the Tennessee Court of Appeals is only binding upon the trial courts in the Tennessee state court system. But that decision is in harmony with other cases (such as the Paul v. Watchtower case--which was a federal court matter). This indicates that there is a general hostility toward such claims in the state and federal courts.

Yes, but in one counrty... other countries has different laws again... The WTB is not just in one country, if one case is won, then others will follow and then other countries that had previously overlooked such cases may follow...

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    jonathan dough= john doe?

No.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

The WTB is not just in one country, if one case is won, then others will follow and then other countries that had previously overlooked such cases may follow...

Perhaps but if there are decisions already made in the courts of whatever country you're in, as long as you're in a common law jurisdiction, the judges are bound by previous decisions.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

The rest can be found here- http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/MULR/2005/11.html#Heading275

IV DEVELOPMENTS IN AUSTRALIA

It is worth noting that when the Australian Law Reform Commission (‘ALRC’) considered the matter of privacy, it did so in terms of the four United States categories — namely, intrusion on solitude or seclusion, appropriation of identity, public disclosure of private facts and display in a false light. The ALRC suggested that Australia should extend protection to the second and third categories, that is, public disclosure of private facts and appropriation of identity.[152] By contrast, in Lenah Game Meats Gleeson CJ favoured the United Kingdom approach, protecting private information based on breach of confidence.[153] However, Gummow and Hayne JJ (with whom Gaudron J agreed) indicated that the first and third categories of privacy under the United States rubric — public disclosure of private facts and unreasonable intrusion on solitude or seclusion — came closest to protecting the interest identified by Sedley LJ and other judges as worthy of protection:[154] ‘the fundamental value of personal autonomy’.[155]

The only Australian case to date that has recognised a right to privacy also relied upon the United States framework, endorsing an action for breach of privacy in the form of an unreasonable intrusion on another’s solitude.[156] In the 2003 Queensland District Court case Grosse,the plaintiff, the mayor of a local authority, alleged that she had suffered psychological harm in the form of, inter alia, post-traumatic stress disorder as the consequence of a prolonged course of stalking and harassment by the defendant, her former lover. This conduct included persistent loitering at or near the plaintiff’s places of residence, work or recreation; instances of spying on her private life, unauthorised entry to her house and yard; undesired physical contact; repeated offensive phone calls; use by the defendant of offensive and insulting language towards the plaintiff; and offensive behaviour towards her friends and relatives.[157] The plaintiff’s action was based on a variety of causes of action, including invasion of privacy, harassment, trespass to land, private nuisance, intentional infliction of harm under the rule in Wilkinson v Downton,[158] and negligent infliction of psychiatric damage. The defendant argued that his conduct was innocent, and done for the protection of the plaintiff’s reputation and that of a non-profit organisation in which they were both interested.[159]

he defendant argued that his conduct was innocent, and done for the protection of the plaintiff’s reputation and that of a non-profit organisation in which they were both interested.
    [159]

I wonder which non-profit org they were talking about????

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Jonathan Dough:

But that's all right, I don't always read other people's comments as closely as I should either. And I knew better than to have assumed you actually meant the Tennessee State Court of Appeals. I must add that until I read the case itself I doubt that it covers any and all issues related to the disfellowshipping.

Me: No worries. Note that the Anderson v. WTS case doesn't cover any and all issues related to disfellowshiping. But the opinion does include what appears to be a fairly thorough analysis of establishment clause case law as it relates to the ecclesiastical abstention doctrine.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

The main point to my last post is simple- people can, and have, taken legal action against certain people associated/intrested in non-profit organisations/religions for harassment, intrusion of privacy, infliction of mental harm and won!

I was not practicing the fine art of "wishfull thinking".... it can and does happen... the Australian laws on privacy issues are designed to protect the individual- not the organization!

• hotspur
    hotspur

If the act of disfellowshipping was defaming or impuning the person's chararcter then there would be a case to answer. That is why some time ago they saying "for cinduct unbecoming a christian" - now they just say "no longer a JW".

No case to answer! Unfortunately :(

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    No worries. Note that the Anderson v. WTS case doesn't cover any and all issues related to disfellowshiping. But the opinion does include what appears to be a fairly thorough analysis of establishment clause case law as it relates to the ecclesiastical abstention doctrine.

I just read it. Not sure all jurisdictions follow this, but it sounds like most. She never had a case from the beginning and the decision confirms what I said earlier, that df'ing is no basis for a claim, with narrow exceptions. Neither is shunning, but if you read it carefully the decision was limited, and was decided on the basis of lack of subject matter jurisdiction.

Good news is, there are plenty of grounds for litigation out there. All of her claims were related directly to her df, and actually stemmed from it. The ecclesiastical abstention doctrine does not protect crimes; or a wide spectrum of torts, especially if they don't arise out of, or stem from, the decision to df or shun.

Bottom line: The WTS is not as immune from being successfully sued as they want you to believe, and in my opinion, have a lot of exposure.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-3.html#13B

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Bottom line: The WTS is not as immune from being successfully sued as they want you to believe, and in my opinion, have a lot of exposure.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Just to be clear, not sure what other nations' courts would rule on these issues. Stronger protection for religion in the USA. Doesn't automatically follow that 'common law' would require other nations to follow suit, as one poster mentioned.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit