Public Defamation = DF'd ???

by Lillith26 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    There is no basis for a lawsuit, class-action or otherwise.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

1) Defamation

2) Intentional infliction of emotional distress

3) Invasion of privacy

4) There are stalking laws

5) Possibly extortion related claims down the road

6) Freedom of religion is subject to individual rights which you don't give up when you join the club.

7) The Society is aware of this and is quietly shaking in in its boots but they think the flock is too stupid to figure this out.

8) Wrongful death

9) Class actions are tough unless you go after the money.

10) The laws of other nations might apply.

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index.html#4

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    what I like about the scenerio of suing individual elders is that the Society will not come in to support them. They're on their own.

No they are not. The laws of Agency apply. The elders are the agents of the WTS (principal) and that is what has got the Society worried. And they are the ones with deep pockets.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Blondie, I do agree, it is a lot of work gathering evidence, finding people who will bare witness to your claims etc etc etc... but, if sucessfull, then your hard work will not only give you a sense of satisfaction and justice, but it will also help others in the long run by paving the way for others to recieve the same justice.

I was never baptized, I quit while studing, I can't be DF'd... this thread doesnt really even apply to me!

Every time I log on here I read about people who have suffered because of the WTBTS practise of DFing and shunning and it burns me to my core, instead of just getting mad at the WTBTS and feeling compassion for those people this has happened too and IS happening too, I thought it would be more practical to look at ways to not only seek justice for these people, but also a means to prevent the practice from continueing...

I m just putting the idea out there... some times just knowing you could (even if you dont), can give you strenght to move on.....

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    I thought it would be more practical to look at ways to not only seek justice for these people, but also a means to prevent the practice from continueing...

Yes.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Dough, I think we just found a topic we agree on . Now we just have to learn to agree to disagree on few others peacefully.

• undercover
    undercover
    The laws of Agency apply. The elders are the agents of the WTS (principal) and that is what has got the Society worried. And they are the ones with deep pockets.

I'm not an expert on law, but I do know how the Society operates. If John Q. Public, recently DFd and slandered, sued John W. Smith, JW elder, for defamation of character and the suit does not include the Society or its doctrines/practices/programs, the Society is not going to stick their neck out for that elder. That elder is on his own. The Society is interested in its own interests, not those of a low-level manager who couldn't keep their mouth shut.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Dough, I think we just found a topic we agree on

You must have me confused with someone else because you and I agree on most things that I can tell. Keep up the good rant.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

True Undercover- but it would make the local newspapers and it would make the other elders *pull their socks up* or *step down* and could also make other brothers think twice before *reaching out for that kind of responsibility*....

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Me: The laws of Agency apply. The elders are the agents of the WTS (principal) and that is what has got the Society worried. And they are the ones with deep pockets.
    You: I'm not an expert on law, but I do know how the Society operates. If John Q. Public, recently DFd and slandered, sued John W. Smith, JW elder, for defamation of character and the suit does not include the Society or its doctrines/practices/programs, the Society is not going to stick their neck out for that elder. That elder is on his own. The Society is interested in its own interests, not those of a low-level manager who couldn't keep their mouth shut.

It doesn't matter "how the Society operates" because they don't have any choice. The Society would have to be joined as a defendant; which is what the elder AND plaintiff would insist on. Piece of cake bringing in the Society. Besides, there's not a lawyer in this country who wouldn't go after the deep pockets of the corporation. For all practical purposes the elder is judgment proof if he is like most elders I've known ... broke. I'm assuming this is all in the course of performing his "elder functions."

http://www.144000.110mb.com/

• wobble
    wobble

I know that the WT LOST a case where they tried to say they had no responsibility , their "agent" was a B ethel guy on his way to a K.H for a meeting who killed someone in a road accident.

Since then they have done everything they can to make sure that "Agency" does not cost them ,hence they don't want K.H's to have the Corporate Logo.

I think the Elders will find they are on their own., the WT will not want to join them in the dock.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit