Jonestown cult and the JWs

by jonathan dough 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    AlltimeJeff said - "Jones took his Motley Crew over to an island for isolation."

Ummm... Jeff... I usually value what you type, but I need to point out that Jonestown was a small village that Jim Jones and crew hacked out of the jungle of Guyana, South Africa. Not an island.

Of course... it could be argued that Africa is an island... just like the Americas are an island. A verrrrrry large island.

Regards,

Jim TX

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Ummm... Jeff... I usually value what you type, but I need to point out that Jonestown was a small village that Jim Jones and crew hacked out of the jungle of Guyana, South Africa. Not an island.
    Of course... it could be argued that Africa is an island... just like the Americas are an island. A verrrrrry large island.

A bit of poetic license gone awry there. Mea culpa. Everytime I think of Jonestown, I always think "island" due to the isolation and it's relative closeness to the southern part of the Carribean. But it was on a continent. Thanks for the correction.

I do believe it was South America actually.

No problems though, sorry for the error....

• Gerard
    Gerard

"900 dead is chump change by rank amateurs compared to the Watchtower body count, and associated bloodguilt."

That is right, yet hundreds of JWs keep on drinking the Cool-Aide every year.

• ziddina
    ziddina

AllTimeJeff said, "Frankly, we don't live in a country that is favorable for the control or regulation of religion. JW's have established their own right of existence to the Supreme Court. Freedom of speech and religion means they aren't going anywhere.

Recognizing this, what would have to change is more then just publicity, it would have to be the laws of the land..."

Yes, but public opinion - especially public opinion based on public exposure of WTBTS hypocrisy and dangerous lies - is very effective, also. Enacting a law against the existence of the Watchtower Society might appear to be effective in the short run, but remember that this is an apocalyptic [spelling?] movement - the merest hint of 'persecution' tends to re-affirm their self-righteous stance and would probably strengthen the movement - "Look! The 'Great Tribulation' actually has begun, as WE predicted it would!!".

Or, by that statement, did you mean to enact some sort of limitation - or limitations - on the way the WTBTS carries out its daily business, and the requirements they demand from their members?? [whoops. posted before I read all the previous posts. Limiting or eliminating their right to refuse blood transfusions for minors sounds like a good legal recourse...]

Exposure is the best recourse, and such exposure is occurring more and more often due to increased flow of information - the internet, newscasts about the pedophilia, and expose*s such as Ray Franz' book are very effective at revealing the 'man behind the curtain'.

There's a two-part series on YouTube titled "Withering Watchtower" that is very informative. Will post a link in another post if I can find it. It discusses the drastic drop in membership occurring in the WTBTS within the last few years.

Zid

jk

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Withering Watchtower part one" (I hope...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KhjruY8HM

"Withering Watchtower part two" (I hope...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkDJRkOjOLw

Zid

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Isolation need not be geographic, like the Jonestown cult members who flew off to South America. The Society actively isolates their members, intellectually and physically, in too many ways to count and anyone who denies that is in denial. The isolation has been increasing over the years. Look again at the close similarities. They day before the followers of Jim Jones took their lives they appeared to be the happiest, most loving people on earth, clapping, cheering ... and then they turned on a dime, just as they were told, no questions asked.

Don't fool yourselves. This is a very dangerous religion, and a threat to anyone who belongs to their organization. It is the biggest religious scam in the last 150 years. Proof: http://www.144000.110mb.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit