Amway

by bobld 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I didn't find my experience so bad. It is true we spent quite a bit of money (that part I regret), but I did learn that it was OK to think for myself and that it was OK to be the best you could be, that making money (even becoming wealthy) wasn't evil, also learned about how to get along in a marriage that I never learned from the Watchtower (my marriage wasn't going to well at the time). I really believe that Amway was a significant factor in my finally exiting the Organization. We didn't make much money with Amway (lost a lot more), but the principles I learned helped me grow another business which proved to be a lifesaver for Clyde and I, especially when he had to retire early due to illness. I'll admit that I wish I could learned those principles another way (it would have been a lot cheaper), but at least I learned them.

Bonnie

• MadGiant
  • SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'm glad I never got sucked into those pyramid schemes. When I was first looking for work, I'd attend job fairs. I was always targeted by young men working for these pyramid groups. They'd be like, "Hey yo, how much did your old boss make? Does he drive a Porsche/Mercedes? Wanna be free from bosses forever?" and so on, and so forth. Being more annoyed than curious, I'd always rebuff them. But the opportunity to be sucked into those scams was always present.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes this commercialized product selling company uses strong and alluring marketing hype to lure people toward them,

such as really having god's own stamp of approval and so on.

Gee doesn't that sound similar to the marketing bullshitting hype of the JWS. ?

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh my gosh! This is such an eye opener! I never knew that Amway was anything more than a company selling make-up through distributors. This is scary.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Steven Hassan talks about about commercial cults in his book. This helped me to understand what he means. Great post.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

A tiny bit about the Amway-Blackwater connection

Dick DeVos was born into the Amway fortune in Grand Rapids. His role as international vice president and later president of Amway is due to his anointment by his father. He married Elizabeth ( Betsy ) Prince, daughter of Edgar and Elsa Prince, who generated a family fortune in Holland, just south of Grand Rapids. Both family influences are reflected in the candidate for Governor that we see today.

The Prince family is also deeply connected to extreme right and Republican Party politics. No one in the United States gave more money to James Dobson's Focus on the Family, its Michigan Family Forum affiliate, or its Washington, D.C. arm, the Family Research Council, than the late Edgar Prince. This network formed little known political action committees across the state and country that were more influential but less well known than Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition.

The brother of the would-be First Lady of Michigan, Erik Prince, also adopted the extreme right views of his parents but has used his wealth to start a military mercenary army. The company that it operates under, Blackwater USA, started in 1997 and quickly started getting contracts when George Bush became president. The are a major contractor in Iraq, hiring former Special Forces, Rangers and Navy SEALS to run security for U.S. ambassadors and unconventional warfare in the streets of Iraq's cities.

The Bush administration also hired them to go into New Orleans days after Katrina, armed with machine guns and authority to kill, using veterans of Iraq. "Blackwater mercenaries are some of the most feared professional killers in the world," according to Jeremy Scahill, a journalist who has traveled with them, and Daniela Crespo, who also covered them in New Orleans. Blackwater patrolled and ransacked homes in the Black residential areas of New Orleans. The mercenary outfit is being sued by families of four of their deceased employees in Iraq and by Columbian commandos who were allegedly underpaid.

Blackwater also owns two airlines that were used by the CIA to illegally transport kidnapped citizens of other countries and take them to secret prisons in eastern Europe, where they could be tortured and held incommunicado indefinitely. This "extraordinary rendition" program was condemned in Europe and the Congress for its gross violations of international law.

Since George Bush became President, Blackwater has reaped hundreds of millions of dollars in federal contracts, but is now a featured topic in the new documentary film Iraq for Sale: the War Profiteers.

http://samsedershow.com/node/1430

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

couple of weeks ago I was at big Amway function, some 6.000 peresent from several countries.... I was invited from one girl from my compyny, it was so ridiculously similar to JW assembly, they even used similar expressions... I almost laughed, when they said, that "in this time, we have to keep sense of urgency..."

But in favour of Amway, I must say, they are much more open, basucly admitting they are a cult and they use brainwashing ... one speaker have said: "They say we are brainwashing people, well if it makes me money, I want to be brainwashed..."

If you have a chance, go see it... after JW experience its very interesting...

Albert

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Albert Einstein: " one speaker have said: "They say we are brainwashing people, well if it makes me money, I want to be brainwashed..."

Do they have a special soap for that, too?

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Cameo, if they do, be sure it costs about 49$, but it is biodegradable and manufactured in ecological factory...

Albert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit