What Happens After You Leave?

by Cold Steel 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

What happens after you leave? Do you turn against all religion or do you find another?

the question assumes everyone is the same. -

yes we all join the church of whatever.

some people leave because they dont believe in god, some because they do and feel they arent worshipping him properly.

personally, I do have a spirituality, but I am not sure which way it should go as yet. I do feel free, and the fact that I can wake up guilt free in the morning and go to bed with a clear conscience, because i havent sinned against god forty seven times that day, no grinding my teeth, no palpitations, no having to hide what I am and think its bad, when its just normal.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

No, I'm not assuming everyone is the same. I'm asking for individual answers, some of which I've received.

I imagine most people find they are deluded once, that they erect a wall that will prevent them from being taken in again. Whether that wall keeps out all religion or just some is what interests me. Each person has their own story, right?

Although some Witnesses visit this site, no one seems to challenge the critics.

I assume in some cases, few though they may be, that some Witnesses come back eventually.

I've watched the group for years, but as far as their belief system is concerned, it's simple and lacks substance. The reading material is like I said, like it's the same guy who's been locked in a room for 100 years writing everything.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'm not looking for another church. The JWs have what seems to be a distinctly emotionless form of Christianity--there are no spontaneous outpourings of emotion at meetings, you're not supposed to be swayed by emotion, or any real feeling of spirituality. Therefore growing up in the church just felt like a big game of "follow the rules." Quote this scripture, knock on this door, attend these meetings, stay out of trouble, and you'll be okay. You should also pray incessantly--but to what? I never felt anything.

That's why I'm not seeking another church. I never had a good concept of God. I can thank the JWs for that.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

What happens after you leave? Do you turn against all religion or do you find another?

I like blondies statement: majority of ex-jws don't get involved again in an organized religion or choose one that is independent or separate for a larger group. Ex-jws are not clones.

People say they're happy when they leave...that they feel free, but I'd hate to think that people give up on everything religious.

For me I am new in freeing my mind and choose not to go back to JWs. I don't turn down all religions like I would have... I research my opitions, make comparisons, I also use my "perspective powers"... yes after being abused by the JW, it makes one not so eager to jump back into a organized religion. Kinda like marriage...

If you do stay religious, how many doctrines of the JWs do you retain? (I've never bought into the idea that man has no spirit, because the only real scripture people use to support it is in Ecclesiastes, which is not really an eschatological work, but a philosophic one?)

It depends on a person... I still believe in many of JWs doctrines but I still want to research it before I preach it to others. That is why it's freeing to know we can question it and really dig deep on the source. I believe we are not held liable on what we don't know or understand.

• Casper
    Casper
    I imagine most people find they are deluded once, that they erect a wall that will prevent them from being taken in again.

Hi Cold Steel,

I feel this is what I have done. When I have researched some other religions in the past, I find I am always looking for the flaws.

I have a real fear of being taken advantage of again, to the point I have almost given up ever finding anything that fills the spiritual void that I feel.

Cas

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I got lots of help from therapists.

I no longer believe in organized religion.

I do believe in nature.

ESTEE

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

People say they're happy when they leave...that they feel free, but I'd hate to think that people give up on everything religious.

I can't speak for others, but if I ever leave the Borg, the One Towel Rule would be the first thing to go.

Rub a Dub

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Why does everyone need to be in a religion? You can be spiritual without a religion. There are a whole lot of folks in religions that are not spiritual.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

You start to look like this

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

When you think about it when your not in a religion, your really are in the truth !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit