Egyptians rubbing poo-poo in their boo-boos

by drew sagan 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The title of this thread says is all

I remember the basic argument. Ancient Egyptians were so stupid they put feces in their open wounds, but Gods people had the knowledge to bury it.

My question is, did this actually appear in an official Watchtower magazine or book?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think your dad just made that one up ;)

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

You see, back then, people were so stupid and had no medical knowledge that they thought poop was to be used as a healing agent. It took non-Istrealites how many hundreds of years to figure out that this was a bad idea. If they had read the Bible, they never would have come up with such a redicoulous idea because Jehovah told them to bury their poop outside of the camp. See how smart he is - this sort of wisdom can only come from beyond the human realm.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** w75 3/1 p. 134 Is the Bible Simply a Product of Human Wisdom? ***

Regarding Egypt’s physicians and their remedies, we read: "From the ancient medical papyri which have been preserved, the largest of which is the Papyrus Ebers, we know that the medical knowledge of these physicians was purely empirical, largely magical and wholly unscientific. In spite of their ample opportunities they knew next to nothing of human anatomy."—The International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, Vol. IV, p. 2393.

Not only were most of the prescriptions contained in the Papyrus Ebers of no value, but many were quite hazardous. This was especially true of remedies involving the use of human or animal excrement. To treat the lesions remaining after scabs had fallen off, excrement from a human, a scribe, mixed thoroughly with fresh milk, was to be applied as a poultice. One remedy for drawing out splinters reads: "Worms' blood, cook and crush in Oil; Mole, kill, cook, and drain in Oil; Ass’s dung, mix in Fresh Milk. Apply to the opening." The use of dung in this way, rather than bringing relief, could result in a variety of serious infections, including tetanus or lockjaw.

The regulations of the Mosaic law were not influenced by the wrong concepts found in Papyrus Ebers. For example, according to that Law, human excrement was designated as something unclean, to be buried out of sight. The regulation governing a military camp specifically stated: “You shall have a sign outside the camp showing where you can withdraw. With your equipment you will have a trowel, and when you squat outside, you shall scrape a hole with it and then turn and cover your excrement.” (Deut. 23:12, 13, New English Bible)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I do remember the argument that Jah was protecting the Isrealites by telling them to bury their waste outside of the camp poo-rim-iter (hah- double pun with a 6.9 degree of in u end doh!).

As I think about it now, that argument is a slippery, smelly slope, because, why then did Jehovah remain silent on so many other things of importance to human health and well-being?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Didn't they use certain animal feces to heal? Made it into a poltice or something?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Leo, Drew's dad was a writer for the WT; everybody knows that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Egyptian women used crocodile dung for birth control.

Sylvia

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I can understand that crocodile dung would definately keep the men away.

• DJK
    DJK

A lot of good woman must have disappeared reaching for that crocodile dung too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit