2012: Doomsday

by cattails 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• cattails
    cattails

Just saw the 2008 movie called "2012: Doomsday" by FAITHFILMS.

What a waste of time and a waste of a DVD!!!

Here's the plot if one can call it that:

"The final day on the Mayan calendar finds four faithful strangers convening at an ancient temple in the heart of Mexico in this apocalyptic thriller starring Cliff De Young and Dale Midkiff. Centuries ago, the Mayans set a date for the end of time: December 21, 2012. Now that date is upon us, and NASA scientists have noted that a catastrophic polar shift is about to occur. Could it be that an ancient Mexican temple holds the key to unlocking the secret that could protect humankind from total extinction? ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide"

Crappy movie, very very crappy.

There's another 2012 film that's being released soon and features a big tsunami over the Himalayas and the earth opening up as this plane tries to take off, better effects than the Doomsday version, but I hope it has more of a story line. The merchandising of this new 2009 movie is whacko, really... read the write up from Wikipedia:

"A movie called 2012 , directed by Roland Emmerich and starring the actors John Cusack , Danny Glover , Chiwetel Ejiofor , Amanda Peet , Thandie Newton , Oliver Platt and Woody Harrelson is scheduled for release on November 13, 2009. On November 12, 2008, the studio released the first teaser trailer for 2012 that showed a megatsunami surging over the Himalayas and interlaced a purportedly scientific message suggesting that the world would end in 2012, and that the world's governments were not preparing its population for the event. The trailer ended with a message to viewers to "find out the truth" by searching "2012" on search engines. The Guardian criticized the marketing effectiveness as "deeply flawed" and associated it with "websites that make even more spurious claims about 2012". [83]

The studio also launched a viral marketing website operated by the fictional Institute for Human Continuity, where filmgoers could register for a lottery number to be part of a small population that would be rescued from the global destruction. [84] The fictitious website lists the Nibiru collision, a galactic alignment, and increased solar activity among its possible doomsday scenarios. [85] David Morrison of NASA has received over 1000 inquiries from people who thought the website was genuine and has condemned it, saying "I've even had cases of teenagers writing to me saying they are contemplating suicide because they don't want to see the world end. I think when you lie on the internet and scare children in order to make a buck, that is ethically wrong." [86] "

So what are you thinking about these 2012 Mayan prediction ripoffs?

Are you going to spend time and money to see either one of the movies?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It can't be the real end because Jesus said he would come on a day you do not think it is. So if people think it is 12/21/12 then it isn't.

• dgp
    dgp

First things first. The Mayan Calendar used to include CYCLES of years. What is supposed to happen in 2012 is simply the end of one of those cycles. No end of the world here.

I found the explanation below HERE:

http://newswise.com/articles/cornell-expert-on-the-mayan-calendar-2012-hoax?ret=/articles/list&category=science&page=1&search[status]=3&search[sort]=date+desc&search[section]=20&search[has_multimedia]=

Cornell expert on the Mayan Calendar / 2012 Hoax

Released: 11/12/2009 2:10 PM EST
    Source: Cornell University
    Expert Available

Ann Martin
    Cornell doctoral student in astronomy
    Expert on the Mayan Calendar / 2012 Hoax

Newswise — Martin is a doctoral candidate in Cornell University’s department of astronomy. Her research focuses on the hydrogen content of galaxies in the nearby universe. Her hometown is Binghamton, N.Y., and she holds a B.A. degree in English and a B.S. degree in physics from the University at Buffalo.

The world will NOT end on Dec. 21, 2012. The Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical, so the fact that the long count comes to an end in December 2012 is really of no consequence. Simply, it is the end of great calendar cycle in Mayan society, much like our modern society celebrated the new Millennium. It does not mean that the "world will end.” In fact, the Mayan calendar does not end then and there is no evidence to suggest that the Mayans – or anyone for that matter – has knowledge for the world’s demise.

So, NO, I don't plan to spend a dime in this.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

How do we know that the "cyclical" thing isn't the myth? The calendar does come to an end. And we're supposed to believe it was designed to start all over again at the beginning because a phd student is being called an "expert" on the subject?

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I don't expect the end on 12/21/12.)

• dgp
    dgp

Mad Sweeney, it's good that you're playing Devil's advocate. The Mayan calendar was always a cyclical thing. Won't you please follow this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar

An excerpt:

However, and in common with other Mesoamerican societies, the repetition of the various calendric cycles, the natural cycles of observable phenomena, and the recurrence and renewal of death-rebirth imagery in their mythological traditions were important and pervasive influences upon Maya societies. This conceptual view, in which the "cyclical nature" of time is highlighted, was a pre-eminent one, and many rituals were concerned with the completion and re-occurrences of various cycles. As the particular calendaric configurations were once again repeated, so too were the "supernatural" influences with which they were associated. Thus it was held that particular calendar configurations had a specific "character" to them, which would influence events on days exhibiting that configuration. Divinations could then be made from the auguries associated with a certain configuration, since events taking place on some future date would be subject to the same influences as its corresponding previous cycle dates. Events and ceremonies would be timed to coincide with auspicious dates, and avoid inauspicious ones. [ 6 ]

The completion of significant calendar cycles ("period endings"), such as a k'atun-cycle, were often marked by the erection and dedication of specific monuments (mostly stela inscriptions, but sometimes twin-pyramid complexes such as those in Tikal and Yaxha), commemorating the completion, accompanied by dedicatory ceremonies.

They did have the belief that the world would end at the whim of the gods, but I read in the papers, though I don't remember where, that there's this Mayan priest or whatever who says he's just fed up of telling people the world won't end in 2012.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Our ex-JW meetup group is going to see the 2012 blockbuster together. We hope to get some laughs out of seeing what JW's have been predicting for all outsiders. Sorry if it offends that we are making someone richer off their Mayan misunderstanding.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'm going to watch it and make up my own mind.

I just want to see that HUGE wave.

• teel
    teel

I'll probably go see the new film. Seen the trailers, and looks like some heavy duty SFX, I'm a bit of a sucker for that. I expect to be the usual "catastrophy-movie" style plot, lots of dramas, families crying over loosing each other, people doing heroic deeds, things getting fixed just in the very last second before dying, etc. Been there, seen that dozens of times already.

As for the Mayan calendar, no, I don't think it means anything. As I've seen it from my little research even the Mayans didn't hint of 2012 being the end of the world. Their calendar goes on without problem, it just passes a mark, like the Gregorian will after 9999.

• cattails
    cattails

The film maker responsible for the 2012: Doomsday (2008) movie is FAITH FIMS http://www.faithfilms.cc/

This fundie outfit says on their website:

" Faith Films is a new production and distribution company dedicated to creating exciting films that honestly portray subjects, themes, and people of faith.

By producing high quality, entertaining, mainstream films with all of the resources, effects, and magic of Hollywood, Faith Films will present our positive message to the largest possible audience."

So their newest movie is "Countdown: Jerusalem" and goes like this:

A journalist searches for her daughter as a series of catastrophic disasters push a destabilized society toward the brink of global war.

Their movies are charged with Fundamentalist Christian content, there's lots of references to prayer, to the cross, to Jesus etc.

If the WT makes money out of people's fear of an Armageddon Doomsday, folks like these fundamentalists are really surpassing the WT on the fear mongering frenzy.

• blondie
    blondie

So is the 2012 movie coming out today a documentary? I don't think so. Since when are most movies based on fact. It's entertainment folks. I'll be going with OTWO's group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit