I Talked To A JW At A Bar Last Night

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    why does being in a bar mean you are on your way out? is that a US thing again

No simple answer for that one... It is a US thing, compared to European countries.

Most bars in the US are nothing like pubs in the UK or Ireland. Straight up bars, not restuarants with a bar, are adult only venues. For people that disapprove of these type places (and there are quite a few...we are the country that had prohibition, after all), they see bars as only an attraction for drinking and smoking (though the smoking is losing ground).

It's a pretty hypocritical view, seeing how some JWs are pretty heavy drinkers. I guess they like to keep it on the down low.

But it also depends on where you live. Big city JWs aren't as opposed to the bar scene as, say, JWs in a small, dry county where most every one was raised in a conservative manner.

The Society has always presented any kind of night life as "worldly" and "demonic" thus causing many JWs to look down their noses at any other JW who decides to enjoy a martini at the bar. It becomes another one of the judgemental tools that many JWs use to determine if another JW is zealous or not.

One of the first things I started doing when fading was going to my local watering hole and making acquaintances and friends with neighbors who also hung out there. Now I'm a regular and have actually made friends with the owners/managers and many other patrons. It's cool to have a regular bar to hang out in.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    I was waiting for the punch line after reading the title....."A JW walks into a bar"....

A JW walks into a bar and says "Ouch".

A JW walks into a bar and orders a very specific drink. "I would like a beer, however it can't have bubbles in it." The Bartender asks "Bubbles? So what do you want flat beer?" "No I want a regular vibrant beer. I should specify, I can have the contents of the bubbles but I can't have the miniscule membrane that forms the bubbles." The Bartender asks; "So you'd like me to pour a beer, remove all the bubbles from the beer, remove the membrane from the bubbles then replace the contents into the beer to serve to you." "If you could be so kind."

A JW and horse walk into a bar, the bartender says "Hey why the long face?" The JW immediately starts laughing, the bartender responds, "Why are you laughing I was talking to you."

• minimus
    minimus

Actually it's a restuarant that I was in and I was sitting at the bar.

Being a JW and frequenting bars is not something uncommon.

• minimus
    minimus

Tuesday, your jokes suck.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Tuesday, your jokes suck.

Words hurt minimus :( I thought the beer one was at least clever.

• minimus
    minimus

I still like ya, Tues, it's just your jokes that aren't so good.

• ninja
    ninja

tuesday.....minimus didn't mean to be hurtful.....p.s....your jokes did suck

• minimus
    minimus

Thanx Ninja.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It was quick notice and on the fly... alright so if I'm not stealing from Mitch Hedberg or Patton Oswalt my jokes do suck :)

• undercover
    undercover
    A JW and horse walk into a bar, the bartender says "Hey why the long face?" The JW immediately starts laughing, the bartender responds, "Why are you laughing I was talking to you."

I've heard that one except it was Sarah Jessica Parker and John Kerry...

A three legged dog walks into a bar and announces to everyone, "I'm looking for the man that shot my paw"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit