Did anyone else ever play their record albums backwards?

by EmptyInside 33 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Okay, I'm dating myself, record albums and all that, but I remember as a kid in the 80's, everyone was playing their albums backwards looking for some hidden Satanic message. My older brothers got talked into throwing a couple of their Moody Blues albums away. Anyway, it was all the craze in my hall. And one obnoxious elder even had his own list of acceptable and unacceptable groups to listen to. But, fortunately he wasn't taken too seriously, because noone ever really liked him, especially the other elders.

• watson
    watson

"Number nine, number nine, number nine..."

• BabaYaga
  • xeracia
    xeracia

My parents did this. And I lost a lot of my favorite albums because of it:( I was so upset!

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

Led Zeppelen "Satan is God"

Queen "Decide to smoke marijuana"

My mother was in a trance one night reversing them over and over lol

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It was done in the 70's too. Golden Earring's Radar Love suppossedly said, "We love you Serena" backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRa3RtBiIU

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I tried a few albums but the only one I could make any sense of was on a Cure song. Played forwards it was pretty obvious the song had backward masking on it, but when I played it backwards it was just some bland words that they added for affect.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hmmm, I wonder why the WT didn't make any articles on pareidolia?? Then those elders would have known what was going on.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Def Leppard have actually recorded bits of their songs being played backwards on a few tracks- in music terms it's called 'the devils medium', but it's just a name for it! it makes for some great sound effects in songs....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is nothing more than a conspiracy theory by some parents that are bent on keeping these albums off the radio. If you play just about any recording backward, or with the "proper" decoder, you can get any message you want to hear out of it. If I was looking specifically for it, I could "find" God worship message in these very same recordings that Satanic messages are supposedly found in. I could find (that is, construct), pro-witless messages in those very same albums that they are bashing. The trick is, what do I want to hear?

I never listened to them backwards anyways. And, when I did play them that way, invariably it would ruin the record (plus, it would not play audibly). I never heard anything that would make me throw a record away, nor did I hear any clear Satanic messages, on the rare occasions where I tried it. And, these days I cannot figure out how to play a MP3 file, a cassette, a CD, or a mini disc backwards without expensive equipment or software that is specifically designed to (and such software would not serve my needs). As for whether it affects anyone or not, a fully independent thinker should be able to listen to Satanic messages or pro-drug music all day (when played forward) and not be moved to do it just because the music glorifies it. If you are affected by backmasked messages, that is a sign that you are too dependent on others to do your thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit