Started reading Crisis of Conscience

by KingDavidwasframed 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

I was referred to the above mentioned book but never thought it necessary before to read. I am starting the 3rd chapter now and all I can say is WOW! What happened to me has happened to many. I remember when Ray Franz was DF'd and when the news made national headlines. He was ambushed like I was (and so many others). I think it was Mark Twain who said "A lie is half way around the World before the truth can even pull up its pants". I couldn't believe how many so called "friends" believed the lies about me without so much as even asking to hear my side as well. Now I see why. It starts from the head and goes down.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I remember hearing about Ray in my congregational book study in '80 or '81. I was just a kid but I noticed lots of whispering and gossip about his "apostasy". Kind of similar whispering that accompanied the chatter about 1984 being the year of Armageddon.

BTW, cool name. What was he framed for?

• alanv
    alanv

Welcome to the forum Kd. I new about the book when I was a witness but never had the courage to read it until years later. It is one of the best books I have ever written. Unlike some writers that speak about their past Ray simply tells it as it was. He is certainly not a bitter, vengeful man as many JWs have labelled him. Just about everything he says is checkable. He even says that he still loves the brothers very much but simply could not carry on living a lie. That is true of many on this forum. When you have finished that book there is another he wrote which is just as revealing called 'In search of christian freedom' That too is a mine of information.

• ninja
    ninja

wait till you get to chapter 7.....he gets drunk,punches his uncle freddie....and sleeps with a pioneer sister at the stanley theatre

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Yes, a great book.

I had already had my awakening long before reading the book from cover to cover, but a friend would read me excerpts over the phone. If any current JWs are not sure if the JW faith is just another religion you MUST READ THIS BOOK. It removes all doubt that the JW movement is just another religion, and in fact is more like a group of corporations than a religion. It becomes painfully clear that there is no direction from "holy spirit", and there is absolutely no divine wisdom that helps guide the decisions that are made.

Keep us posted as to what portions of the book have the biggest impact on you. It will helpful for others!

Cheers,

The Oracle

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

When the Time magazine article came out in 1981(?), my daughter showed it to me. It bothered me a bit, but I asked her, "Where else can we go." Maybe 5 years later I saw an article in a local paper about a couple who were disfellowshipped for reading the book. All of their children were shunning them, including a JW woman I knew personally. This also bothered me. When I finally had the courage to go on the Internet many years later, the first word I entered in the search engine was "Franz," also "1975."

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I meant to add--right away I ordered the book and couldn't put it down. I was afraid of telling Clyde for awhile (even though he had faded much earlier) because I thought it would make him upset enough to go tell the elders off. As things turned out, it strengthened our marriage as we could now talk about all the things that had bothered him over the years, and now this book gave us the answers. Since then we have been able to get our two sons and a daughter-in-law out of the borg. Sadly, our daughter is still in and won't have anything to do with any of us even though we're not disfellowshipped.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

You will read it once now and then probably many times over, mine is on the nightstand as we speak. Enjoy. NMKA

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am so pleased I read the book it really helped me to see the hypocrytical nature of the organisation.

I was conversing with someone yesterday about 1975, he thought that was a date initiated by Raymond Franz, and that was why he was DF'd. I was able to to my friend straight on that matter, but I didn't have the courage to tell him to read CofC. He is a very zealous MS (probably will be appointed an Elder next CO visit), if I said too much he would probably suspect I am an apostate, and that would ruin my plan to fade away.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The following kind of thinking/rumor makes me crazy,..... thanks cantleave for getting that straight in some one's head!

I was conversing with someone yesterday about 1975, he thought that was a date initiated by Raymond Franz, and that was why he was DF'd.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit