Who remembers the Circuit Orchestra's? How good was yours?

by eyeslice 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am old enough to remember the Circuit Orchestra. I thought it was great.

I knew some people who played in it. The orchestra was a real bonding interest for them. Whether it would be judged good or bad, musically speaking, I really don't know, but was real live music ! - that has to be a million times better than anything on a c/d

Of course if you have a good thing, somebody will stop them doing it. The orchestra went the same way as the bacon rolls and fresh coffee - consigned to fond memories. Ours never played show tunes though...............

• eyeslice
    eyeslice
    those horrible records

They were pretty bad.

And, I never really understood why we had orchestral recordings for assemblies and piano recordings for the KH - it wasn't that people were going to think that there was an actual orchestra at the assemblies.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember the orchestra. A friend of mine played trumpet. He wasn't so cool.

Another friend played bass guitar. He was hella-cool.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice
    I'd love to hear a rendition of "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" on the kazoo.

How about 'Lazarus Lay Sleeping' - that would be a hoot.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Those records and cd's sounded muffled and canned. Nothing beat the real thing!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I remember playing my flute at the circuit assembly orchestra - it was a lot of fun. My oldest brother always played the oboe for years in the orchestra. The rest of us five kids were so pissed off because he got to stay in the house and practice all summer for the upcoming convention while we were out weeding the gardens. However, if my flute playing was any indicator of how talented the orchestra was, I would have to say they must have sounded pretty crappy

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember those, I knew two members of the orchester very well, both extremely accomplished musicians (A guy Called Jim Burgess who played Bassoon and another Guy called Bev Wood who played violin).

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Though the orchestra was not as refined as the music on the CDs, the orchestra at the assemblies and piano playing at the KH were more personal. I enjoyed to personal music more than the recording.

• sir82
    sir82

Don't recall circuit orchestras, but I have fuzzy memories of orchestras at district conventions.

I do recall we had a beautiful full-size concert grand piano at our assembly hall though. The same brother was assigned to play it all the time - he was quite good.

We also used to have, at the CAs, a brother stand on the stage, face the auditorium, and "direct" the audience in singing. He'd be up there waving his arms about like a perfect lunatic - didn't seem to help the quality of the singing, though.

• undercover
    undercover
    We also used to have, at the CAs, a brother stand on the stage, face the auditorium, and "direct" the audience in singing. He'd be up there waving his arms about like a perfect lunatic - didn't seem to help the quality of the singing, though.

Hell yea...I remember that! It always reminded me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon...where he slipped in place of the real conductor and put the poor opera singer through hell...

"Leopold....Leopold..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit