Who remembers the Circuit Orchestra's? How good was yours?

by eyeslice 26 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

In the days before 'simplification', the days of 3 day Circuit Assemblies (Fri evening plus Sat & Sun), when we used have catering departments that cooked and served up hot meals, we also used to have Circuit Orchestras.

I must say ours was pretty poor though, only matched by the lacklustre singing.

Eyeslice

(Bee in his bonnet since Mrs Eyeslice went to singing practice at local KH on Sunday evening)

• White Dove
    White Dove

My mom did all of that stuff. She played flute in DA's and played piano and organ at CA's. She was a real musician. I remember the musicians being pretty pissed that they were not allowed to do it anymore.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I remember orchestras at the districts, I think we only had a piano at the circuit.

Due to simplification it's now a kazoo.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Kazoo! Hahahahahaha! Yeah, that's about right.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Did somebody here post the other day that some districts still have an orchestra, it being kind of optional even now? I remember the society actually ordering us to use the records back in the day - the first of the assembly rules crackdowns by the society.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Due to simplification it's now a kazoo.

lol. How about even more down market - paper and comb?

I remember the musicians being pretty pissed that they were not allowed to do it anymore.

Anything that smacks of having a good time has been banned by the kill-joys at the top.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember way back in the 60's they used to play "non-theocratic" songs, I remember them playing some songs from Broadway shows, and if I'm not mistaken, taking into account I was just a kid back then they played the song from My Fair Lady, "Get me to the CHURCH on Time" !!. Once again, was just a kid then and I saw the movie and a lot of songs from the show are quite popular, but I definitely know that song when I hear it.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    She was a real musician. I remember the musicians being pretty pissed that they were not allowed to do it anymore.

I can understand why they would be upset. What other opportunities would they have as a JW to display their musical ability? It's a religion that stifles any sort of creative expression, or artistic ability.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'd love to hear a rendition of "We're Jehovah's Witnesses" on the kazoo. I'm sure I've got one knocking around here somewhere....

• JWoods
    JWoods

IIRC, the reason was given that some of the orchestras were not so skilled, and this might turn off new people coming to the assembly. Unity demanded everybody be equally vapid with those horrible records.

You are right - a lot of people put a LOT of effort into this (ours in Okla. City was really pretty decent back in the 60s) and they were very put out that they were tossed to the curb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit