for brit ex pats: is there anything you miss about dear old Blighty?

by highdose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Hey, doesn't anybody miss those scotch eggs? - Scarf'em down for a quick breakfast on the way to work and make your workmates suffer later!

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

dont worry about woolworths, they shut them all down so we brits miss them too. xx

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh Angie wanna send me a tea bag?

What I miss is Fish & chips in newspaper with a Wally

A basin ful of Eels & Mash & Parsley sauce.

Codlive oil of Malt...The Chocolate & sweets >Dolly babies,Sherbate Dabs..

I wanna go home

• cantleave
    cantleave

I bet no one misses rush hour on the M25, The over development of the Thames Valley, Eastenders or The Daily Mail.

• highdose
    highdose

i don't miss the daily mail, cos i read it every day online;)

• besty
    besty

highdose - a daily mail reader - wow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

there ya go...

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

We miss:

Decent chocolate, although you can get Green & Blacks here. The local stuff, especially Cadbury's, is very waxy - I think they add more vegetable oil to stop it melting.

Tetleys Tea - although we can get it in the Brit shop now

A sense of humour that understands irony, sarcasm and wit - these colonials can be extremely dense at times

Green, yes Green - the countryside here is very dry

Decent Curry - If a few Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis were to move to Perth they could make a killing with the number of Brits here

An effective work ethic. We have been here 4.5 years and it still amazes me how lax things are here; tradies will not bother turning up or will do slipshod work when they do, all of the IT people I work with have a "that'll do" attitude. This winds me up, but thats my problem not theirs.

Having said that....we have just been back to the UK for three weeks and I can honestly say that we will never be moving back. Despite all its faults and the small mindedness of the natives, Australia and Perth in particular is an awesome place to live and raise a family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit