for brit ex pats: is there anything you miss about dear old Blighty?

by highdose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

its taken the better part of a year but i'm finaly having pangs of homesickness... it all started when i saw a red london bus ( they use it around here for tourist tours) .

Got worse when i went to a out door ex pat event, were it suddenly poured with rain, it was amazing to see the blitz spirt come out! the locals packed up and left but the brits started singing ( " i'm singing in the rain!") handing out free wine and chips, almost like a party really, everyone was so happy... and you could see the locals looking at them as if to say " you british werdios!"

and of course i tried buying twinkle lights, and so now am missing woolworths, were you could get twinkle lights for 99p last year! Yes i know they went under but still...

...i'm going to miss the queens speech, yes i know its traditional in my family to mean to watch and then forget to, but still...

i miss not being able to do a quick whizz around tescos, here i have to translate all the labels to figure out what it is.

the other night it was raining so hard it looked like snow...if i want to see snow now i'll have to go into the mountains...

• nelly136
    nelly136

i'm going to miss the queens speech.............you mean people actually sit through that crap?

• Angharad
    Angharad

Apart from family - Not much

Proper chocolate, stuff here tastes really waxy

Tea bags - the orange pekoe tea they have here is revolting. Luckly my parents always bring me some boxes of Yorkshire tea when they visit.

Thats about it!

We never watched the Queens speech when we lived there.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Sorry highdose - looks like I killed your thread!

• beksbks
    beksbks

I've never even been there, but somehow I miss it

• wobble
    wobble

When I spent my longest time away from Blighty, only a month, all I missed was decent beer, and roast dinner, and decent beer, just those three.

Love

Wobble

• besty
    besty

pedestrian pub crawls

sharing soccer football with savants

being 60 minutes from spain france italy

leaving my irony throttle set to wide open

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Well I'm here right now enjoying all the things I really miss when living in the US

family

friends

Pizza Express

Fish n Chips

Curry

That beautiful crisp autumn feel, smell, colours, piles of leaves, fireworks night

The rain

Chocolate - can't stand the American chocolate unless we're talking Joseph Schmidt of course....

London and all it's fabulous shops and restaurants - it really is one cool city!!

• Simon
    Simon

Pub lunches on a Friday (North Americans don't seem to approve of 2-3 hour lunches at the pub during the work day for some reason)

Chippies - Curry 'alf'n'alf and Chip Barm Specials mmnnn

Indian Food - there are some in Calgary but we were 15-20 minutes from Rusholme and the 'Curry Mile' ... it's not the same

Chinese - again, they have that here but it doesn't taste the same as what we're used to.

TV - the more gritty comedy in the UK was better IMO

That's about it though and I don't miss any enough to want to go back. I would probably miss more things that were more important from here if we did.

• fokyc
    fokyc

When I was an 'ex pat', I missed Golden Syrup, decent biscuits and 'Fish & Chips',

BUT there was always something good locally that wasn't available in the UK

Such as 'Kymis'; fermented mares milk in Bashkiria!

The refinery director insisted I had it regularly for my bad chest (Asthma).

fokyc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit