How Many Here Actually "Studied" The Publications?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When I was a teenager I extensively studied nearly every publication. I especially enjoyed looking up the root words meanings in the Hebrew and Greek of the Bible language. It gave me the flavor of a word and its origins. I would jot in my Bible all sorts of fine points and use them in research or if I commented.

I would say though that in the last 10 years of my attending, I only "studied" on the surface. I didn't do as deep a research on most things. However, I did become very knowledgable in elder requirements, especially judicial information.

When you were active, were you a good Watchtower student?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I studied extensively for the first 2-3 years. The first books I stopped reading were the yearbooks and any "experiences" because they had no resemblence to the reality in the congregation. That's when I first began to recognize the prefabricated propaganda for what it was.

W

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

I only really "studied" the rev. book as the 'meatier' stuff like the daniel and isaiah books etc. were done when I was younger and didn't use my own brain - that led to my realising it was all made up and leaving! thank god the FADS wanted to re-study that book!!

• minimus
    minimus

I hated the Yearbook too.

• snowbird
    snowbird

*raises hand*

• undercover
    undercover

Skimming and underlining doesn't constitute 'study' so no, I never really studied the publications. That's probably why it took me so long to leave.

When I started to actively doubt and research outside of the WT approved sources, that's when I really started studying the publications. And that's when I realized it was all BS.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Just reading and underlining whatever it was we were studying. Often times I didn't even read the scriptures that were listed in the paragraph.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I think the only times I would really delve into a subject was if I had a talk, or I had just had a fight with my husband or a problem with raising my children. Then I'd throw myself into it, try to get spiritually encouraged, and "do the right thing" so that I wasn't the problem (in the fight) and so I could feel better than everyone else. Man, what I tool I was at times.

PS I never DID feel better, just better about myself because I did the thing I was supposed to do, but I didn't take away any real knowledge.

• keeshondgirl
    keeshondgirl

Just read quick and underlined. Never went to deep into the subject. Once, my husband and I went to study the watchtower with someone and his bible study, and It took like 2 hours! The guy would take like 15 minutes to go over one paragraph. We didn't comment much, and later that week he called my husband and said he was a bad example for his bible study because he didn't say much about the paragraphs. That was the last time we ever did anything with him. .the worst part was the next day was sunday so we had to sit through the watchtower again for an hour. zzzzz.

• chickpea
    chickpea

d'oh!

like my kids' life depended on it

d'oh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit