Need help disproving 607BCE

by 2pink 160 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 2pink
    2pink

i hope i am posting in the right board.

anyway, i am newly out of the org, and have a dear friend who i've been speaking to all along about my thought process/decisions. she has been hesitantly receptive (how's that for confusing?! LOL) and when i brought up 607BCE to her yesterday, she was truly intrigued and had not heard of this as a false date before.

she is still half in/half out, so i know she isn't going to do a lot of naughty independent research on her own. but if i emailed her some quick, convenient links about the inaccuracy of the 607 date, i think she'd read them and perhaps be moved to action.

if anyone knows of a link that provides a concise info on the problems iwth the 607 date, i'd really appreciate it so i can forward it onto my friend.

thank you!

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

All you have to is check the Society's date for the 1st year of King Neb. which is 624. Then go to 2Kings25:7-8 and also Jeremiah 52: 12-13, they both say"it was King Neb. 19th year when Jerusalem was desolated. 624 being the 1st year, take 18 years away and you get 606. 607 is wrong and they know it, but they have to have 607 to get 1914, which is a lie also.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

This is the simplest way to do it.

Rather than showing her this straight away, ask her to write you up a list of kings. Tell her that she can find the info she needs on the WTCD and leave her alone to do it, as much as possible. The idea is to get her to tell you that 607 is not possible.

586/587 the K.I.S.S. approach --- no VAT4956, Ptolemy, Josephus ...

Cheers

Chris

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

For me the arguement is simple. The WTS says open the Encyclopedia to find out about Christmas, Easter, etc... So open any Encyclopedia to find out about this date NONE will say 607 ALL I have found say 586/587. That is what started every bit of questioning for me. Allelsefails

• scholar
    scholar

2pink

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no evidence either biblical or secular that has disproved the validity of 607 BCE. I have been studying this subject for nearly forty years and have read all published attempts to dissprove 607 BCE only to find that on a critical analysis none of these attempts have succeeded. The most recent attempt has been by Carl Jonsson who has acquired a reputation of being a competent chronologist has claimed in his most recent work that there are at least seventeen lines of evidence that disprove 607 BCE. However, competent biblical scholars have shown that such a claim is fanciful and is not supported by either the biblical or secular evidence.

This does not mean that 607 BCE or any other date is not capable of being falsified but at this point in time there is simply no evidence that disproves the validity of 607 BCE for the Fall of Jerusalem.

scholar JW

• Black Sheep
  • bohm
    bohm

Scholar, no, you cannot disprove a date, you can only prove and disprove something in mathematics. However, there is a mountain of evidence against your date, offering evidence against it. That is why no serious non-jw scholars support it, and your favorite JW BIASED scholar was completely torn to schreds by AnnOMaly on the last two threads on the subject. Instead of considering what she said, you resolved to add-hominem attacks and ran away with the tail between your legs.

And now you are back for more scholary wack-a-mole....

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

2pink,

I have an amount of material available, but perhaps the simplest is at:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Why_historians_know_Babylon_fell_in_539_BCE.pdf

If you are able to digest something more complex, another piece I wrote is at:

http://www.jwstudies.com/WTS_support_for_the_Babylonian_king-list.pdf

You will find my email address at: http://www.jwstudies.com/contact_me.html

if you have any specific questions.

I wish you well.

Doug

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi 2pink,

I think that if a JW is willing to accept the failed predictions of Armageddon in 1914, 1925 & 1975 then "607 BCE" is going to be no hurdle for them at all.

Personally, I start and finish with Jesus when talking to JWs, after all, He is the Alpha and the Omega :) Revelation 1 Revelation 21 Revelation 22

That one fact will either open their eyes that Jesus is "God with us", not "a god" with us or get them arguing vehemently.

Blessings,

Stephen

• bohm
    bohm

2pink: This might seem silly, but after you have researched a bit and know the outlines of the various theories (for example the babylonian domination theory of 70 years of servitude (609-539) and about 50 years of destruction (587-539)) and the societys position, try just to sit down and read Jeremiah again. Take special care from about chapter 24 and onwards.

It is possible to find statements here and there (eg. in daniel, 2 kings) that seem to give some support to the WTS position, but you got to keep in mind that they are very brief, subject to interpretive bias and all refer back to jeremiahs profecy which give a very detailed picture that TOTALLY clashes with the societys position.

I was very surpriced at least :-).

Besides this, check out Alans excelent site: http://corior.blogspot.com, he deal with the evidence as presented in the societys litterature at great length.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit