Reading the bible and loving it

by digderidoo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

After looking at some Read the Bible in One Year plans, i have been toying with the idea of giving it a go. I don't know if anybody has come across these plans, but each day of the week you put about 15 minutes aside and read a bit from the OT, a Psalm, an Epistle and a Gospel. Eventually after a year you've read the lot.

Although as a JW i have read most of the bible, i only did it within the constrains of referencing from a WT publication. Most of my NWT was covered in my own writings and comments, like a good studious JW.

Anyhow after 13, 14 years out and during this time trying to go the atheist route, the last couple of years i have examined just about every doctrine with a view to forming my own opinion. In my head i still debate doctrine, whether that's JW doctrine or anybody else's, i guess i have been thinking of late why not just read the bible and see what i can get from it.

So a few days ago i bought myself a NIV, it's so refreshing, it almost feels like a different read to the NWT that i'm used to. Even though i've been out so long, i always used the NWT because of my familiarity with it.

The only issue i have with the NIV is replacing the tetragammoton with LORD, but at the same time i have issues with Jehovah anyhow and think it should be translated as Yahweh. Although there is a translation, i believe the New American Bible uses the word Yahweh i wanted to use a translation that is not doctrinal bias. As the NIV is non-demoninational and uses many different scholars i have opted for that.

It is refreshing to actually read the bible without any doctrinal constraints, i can't believe the WT actually discourages independant reading of the bible.

Paul

• snowbird
    snowbird
    It is refreshing to actually read the bible without any doctrinal constraints, i can't believe the WT actually discourages independant reading of the bible.
    Paul

Yes, sir. Yes, sir.

Sylvia

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I also purchased an NIV and it is so much easier to read - breathed new life into the scriptures for me anyway. I have not tried the whole "read it in a year" idea - maybe someday....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You may try the Jerusalem Bible which uses Yahweh. I particularly like the JB for its very readable format in displaying the text (with chapter and verse numbers in the margin and with subtitles and headers that show quite well the structure of each book, which does not always neatly subdivide into chapters).

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

After leaving the tower in 83. I read the bible cover to cover 5 times. Several translations.

Nowdays I read it systematically reading some from the begining some from the middle and some from the new testament most days.

It can be comforting and enjoyable and it can be very frustrating.

I make notes in the back and then in the front and on the pages I have notes all over.

The bible has revealled themes to me that most Christians deny.

And the bible says things that when you google it or ask a pastor, or priest of someone who

claims to know the bible. These people are usually suprised the bible says these things.

And then they come back and tell you, Yah but thats not what it means.

The bible has more Yah, but thats not what it means than anything.

Read it and enjoy and if your concious you will see what I mean.

But if you can slip down the rabbit hole into the godspell it can be peaceful tranquil and enjoyable.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

I logged on this morning to post a very similar thread. I to have decided I need to read without dis"tract"ions. I have decided to concentrate on the gospels at the moment in an attempt to be enlightened.

I have been struggling with these theories of the bible being fake and based on tarot cards and the like. My thoughts are to read it in an unbiased manner and see if it feels right to me or not.

So far I have read most of Matthew and I have to say that it gives me a peaceful feeling which is what I always wanted from religion. Although by reading slowly and thoughtfully it is a far different experience than just looking up scripture to support an article. I am focusing on who I think each scripture is addressed to and whether or not it applies to me. I look forward to hearing what you experience in your reading.

God Bless

P.s. thank you snowbird for always having something nice to say. You are a realblessing.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Though my confidence in the Bible is fragile at best [along with religion in general and the God concept], I applaud you for finding a pathway that brings you peace. While I still walked in the 'Christian' shoes after leaving Jw's, I bought several translations and found the NIV to be pleasant to read.

Perhaps someday I will return to that book.

Peace to you

Jeff

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Why not try them all?

Try http://www.e-sword.net/ it's free!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I feel like the GB have to be kicking themselves for ever going along with the idea of Family Worship Night at home instead of book study. My guess is a lot of rank and file are using the time to simply read the Bible and do research on the Internet. I know I do, and I've also used it to try and work on teaching my family the real truth.

And one doesn't need a different translation unless you just want one. I just use the NWT that I have along with the biblegateway website for comparisons.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    P.s. thank you snowbird for always having something nice to say. You are a realblessing.

The same to you, my dear.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit