Are elders Qualified counsellors i.e Degree/diploma

by ry.hans 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

ESTEE,

If you want qualifications, I have a cousin with a Masters in Psychology. I wouldn't let him counsel my dog.

Two failed marriages, two lost jobs due to alcoholism, one new liver due to alcoholism, alienation from his family(his choice), living in his car for about 6 months. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I know not all of them are like this, just like not all elders are of the type you mentioned.

Judge Dread

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Judge Dread

I'm sure some of you probably give people advice, even though you are probably not qualified educationally.

Estee

Hey Judge Dread, ordinary people may make "suggestions" but elders use their position and authority to "hammer" their counsel onto the flock. Unfair playing field

Judge Estee is bang on with this.. When a person goes to a person who is supposed to be a person in a position of authority and knowledge they expect some solid help. Elders are not educated to fill that role. However the WTS impels JWs with mental health problems to go to the elders before they go to outside authorities instead of getting real professional help.

BTW Any professional counselor who is a JW and follows WTS protocol to report people who break WT rules deserves to go to jail

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Thanks, Lady Lee. However, that aside, I stand corrected by OM:

"Most elders have read the Awake! for at least 4 years and that's worth more than any secular degree." om

ESTEE

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Agreed with Estee and Lady Lee.

If a friend or acquaintance gives advice, you can listen or not, and accept it or not with "a grain of salt".

If a therapist or counselor gives you advice, you might tend to think what they say holds some weight, so you might be in more of a condition to accept it or reject it, but still... it is up to you.

IF AN ELDER GIVES "ADVICE"... it is not CALLED advice, it is called "counsel from the scriptures" and you are expected to FOLLOW IT or you will LOSE your entire family and support group of friends (and if you really BELIEVE their counsel... you believe you have lost Jehovah's love and thus your LIFE as well!)

Now, I'm sorry, Judge... how did your logic compare these things again...?

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Let me explain this slowly.

You think that someone who has a degree in the field of mental health is qualified to give advice? Not all of them.

You said the elders use their position and authority to hammer their counsel to the flock? Not all of them.

Judge Dread

• heathen
    heathen

I've noticed they aren't affraid of using their opinion to explain things , which is even scarier than using scripture , my God you should hear some of the opinions they come up with around here . I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw em. They love to play mind f@#$ games.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit