Are elders Qualified counsellors i.e Degree/diploma

by ry.hans 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

If a very intimate knowledge of bullsh*t is what you are talking about, then yeah, they are overly qualified....

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Are elders Qualified counsellors i.e Degree/diploma

OK I see you are new here so perhaps you don't know a lot about the JWs and the WTS' choosing of elders.

They are in no way educated to give psychological help to anyone.

Elders are chosen by other elders few of whom have any education past high school. Whatever training they get in their "elders school" is purely at how to use the elder's manual on how to control the congregation using the Watchtower Society's jigsaw view of the spiritual laws in the Bible.

That training is NOT recognized by any accredited college or university anywhere on earth.

Because the Watchtower Society discourages JWs from going to qualified counselors the elders wind up acting as advisers to JWs who suffer from a wide range of social and psychological problems. Without a doubt they often make matters worse. There are literally hundreds of stories here about how the elders made things worse.

After I left the JWs I went to college and university and became a counselors. Believe me. There isn't one thing that the JWs teach that really help people suffering from serious social or mental health problems

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Bingo LL. Not a single thing in a WT makes any sort of medical sense when it comes to mental health

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Right on all counts. As an Elder for 6 years I assure you they have NO training to deal with ANYTHING - Spiritual, Mental, or Emotional. Some try really hard and really care for the people the try to help, but NONE have any idea how to help someone with real problems. Allelsefails

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and yet your only recomendation is a WT

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you want to read about the type of advice they are likely to give her, have a look at the Elder's manual.

http://wikileaks.org/leak/pay-attention-to-yourselves-and-all-the-flock-1991.pdf

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

The untrained elders do more harm than good when counselling the flock.

And yes, they are untrained...

They think that quoting a scripture or two will solve all problems.

ESTEE

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

I'm sure some of you probably give people advice, even though you are probably not qualified educationally.

I have.

By the way, have you read the latest news about a psychiatrist who just went on a shooting rampage?

Judge Dread

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Hey Judge Dread, ordinary people may make "suggestions" but elders use their position and authority to "hammer" their counsel onto the flock. Unfair playing field.

ESTEE

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hold on there. Most elders have read the Awake! for at least 4 years and that's worth more than any secular degree.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit