bought my first lottery ticket today

by John Doe 39 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Where does one check their numbers anyway?

• snowbird
    snowbird

At the numbers checking place!

Zing.

Seriously, the newspaper, tv station, or online.

Sylvia

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

We need a JWN pool on the MegaMillions and PowerBall lotteries, when the jackpots get big.

• John Doe
    John Doe

If that place sold me a ticket that's no good, I should get my money back, right?

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Somebody in Texas lost out this week. Had won the $7M drawing in early May, but never claimed it. Probably never checked their ticket for the numbers. What a shame!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/110409dnmetlotto.27efc99d6.html

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – With Arkansas looking at a $100 million budget deficit because of lower revenue, some state lawmakers are concerned that the new state lottery could be contributing to the economy situation, the Arkansas News Bureau reports.

“My concerns right now are, how do the lottery sales affect the revenue for the state that we’re currently seeing a downturn in?” said state Rep. Rick Green.

The Arkansas lottery began Sept. 28, with Powerball starting Oct. 31. Lottery officials predict the games will bring in around $400 million in annual ticket sales. Around a quarter of that money will fund scholarships, with the rest being paid out for prizes and the running of the lottery.

Retailers have been reporting that lottery ticket sales are siphoning off in-store sales. “For instance, people come in with a $20 bill that they would normally buy milk, eggs, probably some alcoholic beverage or whatever, and maybe $3 worth of gas. Now they buy a lottery ticket first. They may get the gas so they can have enough to go home, but the other sales seem to be suffering,” said state Rep. Garry Smith.

However, state officials are not sure the lottery is to blame. “I think it’s going to be next to impossible to really break it out, to really make a confident statement about it, partly because it could be pulling from lottery sales in surrounding states, so you have that adjustment in addition to the larger question about consumption,” said John Shelnutt, an economist with the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.

But some retailers have reported an increase in in-store sales of non-lottery items. “I think they went up a little bit, just for more customers coming in the store,” said Vickie Sosebee, a supervisor at an E-Z Mart. “Bottled beverage sales are up a little bit, candy sales are up a little bit.”

• chickpea
    chickpea

the first lottery ticket i ever had
    came as a gift in an anniversary card....
    won $8.. wOO hOO, right?

the first (and only) lottery ticket i bought
    was during one of those humongous
    mega-million deals....

i was stranded at a convenience
    gas-mart after having struck and
    killed an 8 point buck on a drive
    up minnesota's northshore on
    the way to canada....

the buck partially infiltrated the interior...
    his rack kept him on the hood and my
    head on my shoulders....

even though i was spitting glass,
    and pulling it out of my hair and ears
    i was feeling pretty lucky...
    so i bought a ticket

didnt win, but didnt die!!!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Somebody in Texas lost out this week. Had won the $7M drawing in early May, but never claimed it. Probably never checked their ticket for the numbers. What a shame!

Now that would make you want to shoot yourself.

• blondie
    blondie

I check online. The winning numbers are on the ACTIVE screen for Directv too.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Ah hell. Their flipping machine is messed up--it didn't match one number! I'm going to have to complain and get them to redraw for my numbers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit