Wife off to singing practice tonight – will the new songbook be any better?

by eyeslice 12 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Even as a loyal JW I though thought our singing was pretty crap. Now, I sometimes catch a religious service on the radio and cannot help thinking how much better 'worldly' churches are in their approach to the use of music in their worship. Personally, if I were going to choose a religion based on music, I'd have to join a church with a gospel choir; I just love the warmth and enthusiasm of gospel music.

With the new songbook coming into use soon, the local congregation has organized a practice evening tonight. I don't much about the new songs but what are the chances that it will turn the congregations into songbirds?

PS My wife looks like an angel but sings like a frog! Harsh but true.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good luck trying to carry a tune..

To the Garbage the WBT$ puts out..

................... ...OUTLAW

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

do you want me to hold my breath?

I can't bear singing anymore

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

This is better than any crap the bOrg can produce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0xAOGhv6lA

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think the new songs are likely to be even worse s*** than the old s*** was. Notice there are only 42 new songs, plus numerous ones with altered lyrics. They have their stupid excuse that Satan is using music to lure witlesses outside the cancer--hinting that there will never be anything worth singing coming from the witlesses.

If you are really looking for something reasonably uplifting (whether or not you are religious or believe in Jesus as savior), I would suggest giving those Christmas songs a try. The commercial ones have to be halfway decent, otherwise they wouldn't sell. And, they have the message of peace and generosity--even the Santa songs have that message of genuine love and giving (with pure motives). They are also much better pieces of music when judged as music, too.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Personally, I never understood why the GB took their songbooks so seriously. (oh wait, they're a cult..)

It is universally recognized that GB 2.0 is dumbing down JW dogma in their literature, and I am sure that will be the case with the new songbook. No more attempts at complicated music, we will have new songs that can essentially be played with the right hand on the piano alone. Most new songs will sound like "London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down..." or "Row, row, row your boat...."

• Open mind
    Open mind

Has anyone looked to see if the Bees still get molested?

om

• Satanus
    Satanus

Get her to do one for you. See if the practice did any good.

S

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I'm not sure about lyrical content, but there were some songs that didn't sound like funeral marches. In other words, I think they're taking pages from better, more classical hymns.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Not sure how good these new songs are. Mrs Eyeslice hasn't come home singing her little heart out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit