There's A Ghost At My Place Of Employment

by finallysomepride 151 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Today: October 30, 2009

Is Your Office Haunted?

By Emily Lambert

Is your office haunted?Is Your Office Haunted?
    CHICAGO - Many people describe their place of employment as a horror story. But some try to claim it's the work of a ghost.

Maybe the spirits have decided that spooky mansions and creepy battlefields are passé. Maybe they want to cash in on the glamour of corporate life. Maybe they just wanted the sushi.

In Orlando, Fla., a landlord is in court battling his tenant, a Japanese restaurant, for backing out of a lease. According to the landlord's complaint, the eatery's owners decided not to move in because they heard the premises "were allegedly haunted by ghosts, unworldly characters, ungodly spirits and apparitions." Too hard a story to digest? Well know this: The landlord offered to exorcise the premises, but the restaurant owners declined. The case is ongoing.

Not even lawyers are spared. Gloria McCary, a deputy district attorney in Socorro, N.M., says that her former office had a ghost. She says she and some of her colleagues heard noises and voices they couldn't explain. Once when preparing for a felony trial, McCary heard a chair and files being moved in the office next door--but no one was there. Another time she heard typing coming from a keyboard that wasn't being used.

McCary enjoyed the experience. "It would be really cool to know who it was," she says. "I thought working in a haunted office was incredibly interesting."

Interesting until closing time, at least--when the ghost became a good reason to high-tail it home. "The building was so frightening after dark that I took work home," says McCary. The district attorney's office has since moved to a newer building.

McCary's account will be published in a book about workplace hauntings due out next year from Atriad Press. Some of the book's other stories, which are still being collected, are about seemingly paranormal activity at an embassy building, a toy store, a university building and a horse stable.

Ghosts, it seems, are not often spotted in modern offices. Paranormal investigators offer several theories as to why. Ghosts might not like new buildings' "environmental conditions"--such as metal and concrete construction or fluorescent lights, says Vince Wilson, author of Ghost Tech and president of the Maryland Paranormal Investigators Coalition. Rosemary Ellen Guiley, author of The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits, says ghosts hang out in places that had a high emotional content--not that offices aren't the site of strong emotions, she says, but "it's a different consciousness than what people engage in at home."

Lingering spirits seem to turn up a lot at restaurants and bed and breakfasts, two business types that are able to capitalize on ghost sightings. Moss Beach Distillery in Moss Beach, Calif., advertises its ghost, nicknamed "The Blue Lady," on its Web site.

The restaurant let General Electric-owned NBC's Unsolved Mysteries run a story on her, a paranormal paramour who employees believe was a young, married woman who had an affair--possibly with the restaurant's piano player--before dying in a car accident. Susan Broderick, an accountant at the distillery, says that one night when she was working, the printer--or the Blue Lady--mysteriously spewed out a nearly blank page with only a heart on it. She says every time Unsolved Mysteries reruns the episode, curious customers show up.

Leave it to lawyers to see potential differently. Loyd Auerbach, director of the Office of Paranormal Investigations, and author of A Paranormal Casebook, says ten years ago a ghostly figure was frequently spotted walking in a hallway near law offices at an older building in San Francisco. Auerbach believes the figure had no consciousness but was a "repeating phenomenon," like a videotape of a past event.

One of the attorneys there thought it would be fun for a local television station to report on the apparition, Auerbach says, but another partner was afraid that the resulting publicity could lead to lawsuits from employees alleging a hostile work environment. "People sue over the strangest things in workplaces," says Auerbach. "It would take an attorney to think of that." Auerbach says that the ghostly figure was never publicized and that the law firm has since moved to a different building.

Story continues at forbes.com. Requires FREE registration.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Many things we take for granted today would have been considered "supernatural" just a few hundred years ago. I'm open to the possibility that life forms exist that are not yet detectable by our current technology, and that this could change at some future time. That doesn't necessarily mean they are "ghosts", "angels", or "demons". It just means we haven't yet reached the level of science necessary to define such phenomena.

W

It's not just that those phenomena would be undefinable with current technologies, but that their existence would be contrary to virtually every known law of the universe. That's a big proposition, one for which personal testimony is simply not enough to support, in my mind.

• oldseeker
    oldseeker

daniel-p:

Certainly, it is all anecdotal. Not being scientists and submitting our experience to the scientific method making it provable, we are left simply with our personal experiences. In the long run, it really doesn't matter what our belief's are in ghosts or demons, that is, unless we are being personally attacked by them (or something we THINK is them). People like to think about it though. The fact that there are TV shows such as Ghost Hunters (which seems to be popular) shows that there is an interest in them. There is also a great interest in vampires, I can't even count the shows about them. Never had an experience with a vampire.

oldseeker

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    That's a big proposition, one for which personal testimony is simply not enough to support, in my mind.

True enough. I've had my share of unusual personal "experiences" but they could all be explained logically once the time was taken to think them through.

My latest puzzle isn't anything "supernatural" though. For the last month or so I've been trying to figure out how a bat got into my house. He flew by my head a few times while I was using my computer. I caught him with a towel and released him, but I can't figure out how the hell the bugger got into my house in the first place.

W

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Certainly, it is all anecdotal. Not being scientists and submitting our experience to the scientific method making it provable, we are left simply with our personal experiences. In the long run, it really doesn't matter what our belief's are in ghosts or demons, that is, unless we are being personally attacked by them (or something we THINK is them). People like to think about it though. The fact that there are TV shows such as Ghost Hunters (which seems to be popular) shows that there is an interest in them. There is also a great interest in vampires, I can't even count the shows about them. Never had an experience with a vampire.

I like to think about it too, and am not in absolute disbelief of things that are outside our current scientific understanding. I am merely highly skeptical, but would love to have real evidence for these things.

I think humans do have a sort of "sixth sense" left over from times when we were in constant danger, and that these mechanisms sometimes go "haywire" and interfere with our more basic senses.

• Casper
    Casper
    Second, if they do exist, why are they so intent on opening and closing doors, moving around everyday objects, looking out of windows, brushing against people, and otherwise acting like morons fascinated with the most banal activities?

My thoughts exactly.... Good Lord, grab a pen and write us a message, if you can throw books and move chairs you can, at the very least, type.

Personally, I love "Ghost Stories", I am totally open to exploring whether or not this kind of thing exists.

When my first husband died, he promised to find a way to contact me, if at all possible, it's been 26 years and I'm still waiting.

Unless, of course, it was that time when....... lol

Cas

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I think humans do have a sort of "sixth sense" left over from times when we were in constant danger, and that these mechanisms sometimes go "haywire" and interfere with our more basic senses.

Here's an example, and this sort of thing has happened a few times. I have 2 birds, Sammy my cockateil and Rocco my cockatoo. Sammy is in the front of the house and Rocco is in the back. They can see each other by looking down the hall. At 3 am I suddenly wake up to hear both birds going absolutely wild, screaming and thrashing in their cages. I fly down the stairs, groggy and confused to see what's going on. Both are immediately happy to see me, but they're trembling in terror, and staring intently at something I couldn't see. I feel cold, the hair stands up on the back of my neck, and a chill is running up and down my spine. I see no problem in the house. I look out of the windows and see no problem. Is it a ghost? Should I call a priest to perform an exorcism? Should I wash the house with holy water?

Scientific explanation: Next morning, I go out to the porch and see that either a cat or racoon tried to get into my garbage can startling Sammy into screaming. Rocco is startled by Sammy screaming, so he screams too, and he is REALLY LOUD. Rocco's screaming startles the hell out of me. The chills I felt were a result of the stress of being so rudely awoken and stressed by my freaking birds.

Nothing paranormal happening here.

W

• Casper
    Casper

FF,

My birds did the same thing in the middle of the night, it was frightening !!

Found out the next day we had had a 4.5 earthquake around the same time, apparently they are overly sensitive to that kind of thing.

Cas

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hmmm

I'm getting more into the abstrac philosophical ideas like "do we create our own reality"? We do, in the sense that our reality is perceived through our own brain "lense"...we all see the world from only our own perspective and no matter how much we try and see it from the perspective of others, we can only guess at how they see the world.

I'm wondering if it is the case that if we *believe* in ghosts then ghosts appear, but if we don't believe, they are simply not a part of our reality. This means that both people are right. Ghosts do exist and they also don't exist.

Maybe I'm being too abstract.

Dawn

x

• Sirona
    Sirona

Just to add:

I've posted many, many times on this forum about my experiences with ghosts and the supernatural. I've had experiences which most people haven't. I have even been told information by so called spirits that people could not have known.

However I am now wondering if these things are simply part of my reality because I believe it to be so. Not that it didn't happen. Just that its MY reality, my world - what I choose to believe.

If I believe myself to be a wonderful spirit medium, I think this would probably be my reality. If I believe nothing supernatural exists, then I will never find proof of the supernatural because the world caters to my belief.

??

Dawn

x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit