Impromptu Survey - 2 Types of Reasons to Leave

by AdaMakawee 23 Replies latest jw friends

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I was thinking, not counting those who are DF'd for "conduct," it seems to me that there are two type of exJWs that leave. By this I mean the ones that woke up and came to their senses while still inside.

1. Those who found doctrinal errors and couldn't stay with the lies.

2. Those who found that there was no love and left because of the betrayal of emotions, and realization that by this fruit you knew they were NOT the ones, their lack of love. (I'm including in this the lack of love displayed for physical harm from others in the congregations too, such as child abuse.)

There may be other reasons as well. I'm kind of wondering, though, whether those of us who left for reason number one tend to go on to another christian church, and whether those who leave for the second reason have a different path or if the numbers are about the same?

Which number are you and what are your spiritual/religious beliefs these days?

Ada

• startingover
    startingover

Atheist

• villabolo
    villabolo

#1: Their pathological self worship led me to question the elders in a very mild manner. I simply said that they should not be calling themselves "The Truth" because that is how Jesus described himselg in John 14:6. This led to my disfellowshipping.

I am now an atheist with pantheistic sentiments.

villabolo

• parakeet
    parakeet

I suppose I'm closer to reason #1, but the real reason I left was because I couldn't stand the thought of putting my then newborn son through the same kind of childhood I had. I knew then I didn't really believe the dubs and never had. I had just gone along with it the way a child does, unquestioning amd trusting (but in an adult, it's known as braindeath). Only later did I search for doctrinal errors to back up my decision to leave.

My beliefs nowadays are a mixture of Taoism/paganism/atheism.

• Casper
    Casper

Neither #1 or #2

Maybe a #3... ( a desire for freedom)

I became a witness at the age of 28, I "Knew" what freedom felt like and after living in a box for 13 years... I wanted my freedom back, so I just walked away.

I now consider myself agnostic, and open minded to searching out and exploring new ideas.

I now have the freedom to do that...

Cas

• chickpea
    chickpea

closer to #1

my son is an FtM transgender...
    there was no freedom to support
    him in the b0rg.... and he sure as
    hell is worth more to me than the
    drivel from the b00bs in br00klyn

as far as a belief system?

sentimental diest?
    kinda like rooting for the cubs....
    a habit

actually, i am pretty much
    beyond being able to believe
    in a "god"

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

Good question. I left because it seemed like a fairy tale, just a fantasy for people to belive in. What do I believe in now? I don't belive in anything and I don't care about it. People seem to think its important to have a belief and I don't , it doesn't bug me. I have a great busy life and don't waste time think about unimportant (for me) things.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Closest to #1

Closest to Atheist

I had "lack of love" reasons in my examination, but primarily was focused on the fact that the doctrine could change. I examined scholarly thoughts on what the Bible means from outside sources and one day was willing to examine former JW sources. By that point, I had made up my mind that something was rotten in Denmark.

I have discovered that:
    A. WTS is a run-of-the-mill Bible doomsday cult. It's just larger than most, with Mormons being even larger.
    B. The Bible can be made to say just about anything, and it contradicts itself.
    C. Man has been predicting the end since religion was invented.

I say "closest to Atheist" but it isn't that simple. I do believe science on the beginning and evolution of life is producing abundant evidence that our religious planet's inhabitants are suppressing. In time, the science will win out. But I also see that we know nothing about what might be "out there." Forces may or may not have helped along the way. Until those forces are discovered in reality, it is better to assume they are not there. That is rational. It is irrational to believe in the Sky Daddy of the Bible and scoff at Zeus or Thor or Allah or anyone else who seems just as fictional.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Don't forget about policy as well, which is different than doctrine. FOr example, the WTS policy for two witnesses to child abuse. THere really is no legitimate doctrinal basis for the stance, instead its an administrative policy. ELders have to deal with administrative policies all the time... the FLock book is full of them and less full of actual droctrines.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't really have fitting answers for any of your questions.

Before you are really out of a cult you have to be out both mentally & physically. That doesn't always occur together nor in any particular order. In my case I was out physically for decades before leaving mentally. Others here have kept up the facade long after they have been mentally free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit