Was there a recent KM that said WT is more important than the Bible?

by Saoirse 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Testimony of Hayden C. Covington, head legal counsel for the Watchtower Society regarding the prediction that Jesus would return in 1874:

Q. That was the publication of false prophecy?
    A. That was the publication of a false prophecy, it was a false statement or an erroneous statement in fulfillment of a prophecy that was false or erroneous.
    Q. And that had to be believed by the whole of Jehovah's Witnesses?
    A. Yes, because you must understand, we must have unity, we cannot have disunity with a lot of people going every way, an army is supposed to march in step.
    Q. Back to the point now, a false prophecy was promulgated?
    A. I agree to that.
    Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's witnesses?
    A. That is correct.
    Q. If a member of Jehovah's witnesses took the view himself that that prophecy was wrong, and said so, would he be disfellowshipped?
    A. Yes, if he said so, and kept on persisting in creating trouble ... Our purpose is to have unity.
    Q. Unity at all costs?
    A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation, the governing body of our organisation, to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.
    Q. And unity based on an enforced acceptance of false prophecy?
    A. That is conceded to be true.
    Q. And the person who expresses his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the covenant, if he was baptised?
    A. That is correct.

Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?
    A. I think....
    Q. Would you say yes or no?
    A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly. (pp 346-348)

• garyneal
    garyneal

Modern day Bereans carefully check their Watchtowers to verify anything a new CO or Presiding Elder tells them.

Or as my mother-in-law says, "I DO research! I always look up the scriptures quoted in the Watchtower."

Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the witness response.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

WT is God's word.

Testimony of Nathan H. Knorr:

Q. God was writing these books ever since 1918, wasn't he?
    A. I wouldn't say God was writing them.

Q. They were written under the influence of God, weren't they?
    A. They were written by men in the service of God's Organization, to bring to the attention of the People the truths as expressed in the Bible.

Q. Would you say that God's views have changed between 1918 and 1930?
    A. God's views never changed, and their only expression is in the Bible, which is God's word. Man can make a mistake in the interpretation thereof.

Q. So that these leaders of agents of God are not infallible, are they?
    A. That is right.

Q. But when you put out these writings in the Watch Tower, you don't make any mention, to those who get the papers, that "We, speaking for God, may make a mistake," do you?
    A. When we present the publications of the Society, we present it with the Scriptures, the Scriptures set forth in the Bible. The citations are given in the writing; and our advice to the People is to look up these Scriptures and study them in their own Bibles in their own homes.

Q. But you don't make any mention in the fore part of your Watch Tower that "We are not infallible and subject to correction and may make mistakes"?
    A. We have never claimed infallibility.

Q. But you don't make any such statement, that you are subject to correction, in your Watch Tower papers, do you?
    A. Not that I recall.

Q. In fact, it is set forth as God's Word, isn't it?
    A. Yes, as His word.

Q. Without any qualification whatsoever?
    A. That is right.

from http://onlytruegod.org/jwstrs/trial.htm

http://144000.110mb.com/607/index.html#top

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, I have to admire old Covington for having the guts to say his awful words. Even if he did probably have about 3 full malt scotches beforehand.

Yes, Virginia, this is what we really believe. If you don't like it, just go play in the street.

• besty
    besty
    Our coming to know "the truth" - the entire body of Christian teachings that has become part of the Bible - and adhering to it are essential for our salvation. - Watchtower December 15 2008, pg 28. (emphasis added)

http://knol.google.com/k/paul-morrison/why-jehovah-s-witnesses-shun-people/290ks3g12r97j/3#

• villabolo
    villabolo

On the same subject of self glorification by the Organization I recall reading somewhere that in one of Rutherfords rainbow series books, at the end of the book, in the advertisements for his books, the advertisement said that 15 minutes of reading Rutherfords books was better than a lifetime of reading the Bible. I believe that it was in the third volume of one of his books but I'm not sure.

villabolo

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was Sept 2007. The Kingdumb Misery came out with an article telling people not to study the Bible independently or in small groups, read the Bible on its own, or to use independent sources to verify the accuracy of Washtowel doctrine or the Not Well Translated Bible.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Somebody get rid of the witness religion for please..

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

That Sept 2007 article is not the same as saying the WT is equal to the Bible or more important.

Some people are getting a bit confused on this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit