New Understanding of "This Generation"

by snowbird 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

Am I dreaming this, or is the WT teaching "the generation that will not pass away" to be those who knew some of the anointed of 1914?

Are they crazy? (Not a rhetorical question).

Sylvia

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

From what I understand, technically, the new understanding is that the "anointed" are the "generation" that will not pass away, i.e., there will be anointed on Earth when Armageddon arrives.

Apparently a GB member gave a talk at the annual corporate meeting suggesting what you wrote above. As far as I know, that doctrine has not made it's way to print yet.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My understanding of the current belief (until it changes?) is that Jesus was addressing his congregation, as this generation. Therefore they say that some of the remnant of that congregation will still be here at the end.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    My understanding of the current belief (until it changes?) is that Jesus was addressing his congregation, as this generation.

I guess Jesus didn't own a dictionary and therefore did not know the difference between "generation" and "my anointed disciples"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Well...... if the Generation of 1914 has not yet died off and are still going, all these damn baby boomers need to get their ass back to work!!!!

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO RETIRE UNTIL ALL OF THE 1914 GENERATION ARE DEAD!!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Apparently a GB member gave a talk at the annual corporate meeting suggesting what you wrote above. As far as I know, that doctrine has not made it's way to print yet.

Thanks, NEJ. I found the topic referencing Jack Barr's talk at the annual meeting.

Thanks, also, BB.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL at Elsewhere!

Why don't they just leave it and accept the fact that a plain reading of Jesus' statement shows that He was referring to His 1st century listeners, and them alone.

Oh! I know why - 1914. Life must have been much simpler for them before they went all out in pushing the importance of 1914.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The light keeps getting brighter 1

F the guy that invented the dimmer switch !

• DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

So the WT society has done it again. This way they can escape anything... except their own history.

In fact you could extend their logic indefinetely. As another example, consider the thing that Jesus promised to come back before the generation would pass away (Mt.24:34). Now the problem with his promise could, using this innovative WT logic, be 'explained out' by saying: "When Jesus promised that he would come back during that generation, Jesus meant by that those who saw those who saw those who saw ... (span over 2000 years) ... those who saw those who saw and heard Jesus talk."

• snowbird
    snowbird

Exactly my way of thinking, Dr. St.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit