What Are Your Thoughts On The Apostle Paul?

by cognac 109 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

All those that believe they are justified in the eyes of God, have Paul to "thank" for this view, as do those that beleive that we are under God's grace through Jesus.

Many times Paul states, "the lord says..." and other times he says " I and not the Lord say.."

The bible is inspired by God, BUT written by Man, we must never forget that.

We also need to remember that while Paul was controversial at times, ALL the NT must be take into account and not just one writer or one book or even one verse.

Imagine if there was no epistles at all and only Matthew and Revelation for example or there was no Johnanine works, imagin if there was no Pauline theology AT ALL, no controversy AND no justification by Faith, no grace under God.

• cognac
    cognac

Yes, Isaac, it is! Thank-you! I'm gonna read that. It's so easy to look over things and just not put it together sometimes. Thanks for the help!

• JWoods
    JWoods

It does remind us that the WT society is doing a literary disservice to all their readers by "hiding under anonymity".

After the Russell books and articles, and the Rutherford scandal of pre-empting his last work, the society increasingly became monolithically anonymous.

We do know that Ray Franz, Ed Dunlap, and a couple of others wrote much of the Aid book, and Ed told me (on the side) that he had practically written the whole pocket book on James. Other than that, you could sort of guess when Freddy let his hair well and truly down - but mostly it was just a big seawash of the SOS.

I think people have a right to know where stuff they read (particularly controlling religious stuff) is coming from; and indeed this seems to be a bible tradition that the JW now ignore.

• cognac
    cognac
    Many times Paul states, "the lord says..." and other times he says " I and not the Lord say.."

I noticed that. I wonder about cases where he doesn't actually say specific information is from him or God. I would assume if he didn't specifically say it was from him, then it would be from God.

• cognac
    cognac

jwoods - The massive amount of info the BORG ignores from the bible is shocking. They take what Paul said and they fail to weigh in the love and type of forgiveness Jesus showed...

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like the Apostle Paul, but I think we would probably have butted heads a couple of times.

Paul means "little man," so he may have been suffering from that syndrome.

Hey, he was only human!

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Hey !!

My Name is Paul !!

I am not little !!

All 5-6" and 170lbs of me !!

LOL !!

• cognac
    cognac

Jwoods - Even the apostle Paul said not to judge the heart and to only judge the act. When a person has repented from the wrong act he should be let right back into the cong. JWs wait to let the person back in when they feel the persons heart has changed. They have no right to do that. Also, even Paul said to not be to harsh in what he says. The BORG fails to take that into account...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The WT is very selective in the verse they use and not just Paul.

They NEVER quote Paul in Romans where he says not to judge people that view one day more special than another ( in reference to B.days and special occasions) nor do they ever quote the famous "Justified by faith and not works so that none myay boast".

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

You are welcome Cognac. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit