"Studies" are allowed to give talks?????

by Joshnaz 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

My sister who is a active JW texted me today to let me know that her boyfriend who is "studying" is going to give his first talk a week from this Wednesday. I always thought you had to be a publisher to speak on stage. Oh ya, not to mention he still smokes cigaretts. I asked my sister if they changed the rules and she said, "No I think it was always that way but as far as we were concerened I think that both happened simultaneously" and "The ministry school is to help you get used to public speaking to prepare you for the field service" I haven't been to the KH in almost ten years. Just wondering what other peoples thought's were on this.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I joined the school when i was a study

it was a requirement to work towards baptism.

purps

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

It not the full 30 min talk that the Elders and MS give on Sunday it's usually the 4min bible reading to begin with. My 11year old gave a few before we became inactive but they do call it giving a talk

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Interesting. I coulda sworn you had to be a publisher to speak on stage.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I gave my first talk when I was a "study", but being on the school was not a requirement for baptism. My mother was never on the school.

W

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I was a 'study' but not allowed to actually join the TMS while I was still a smoker........... I kept the fags... was the lesser of two evils..... No.. the rules have not changed, but if her cong is desperate for males then I could see them "condoning" his smoking for now...... but he would be expected to quit before his baptism......

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Oh! Thanks guys for the info.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You do not have to be baptised to give talks, but I did think you had to be an unbaptised publisher. If he is smoking he cannot give talks, so he must have not let the elders know what he is really up to.

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

JWFACTS- exactly what I was thinking.

(I need to know for sure if you do or don't have to be a publisher to speak on stage)

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Nope, my son wasn't a unbaptized publisher when he was giving talks. My husband just said to put him on the list and they did. Not sure when it changed or if it has but he gave his last talk about a year ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit