Are you content?

by Newborn 18 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

i believe one can be content
    without being complacent
    (defined as contented to a fault)

part of my contentment stems from
    academic pursuits and political activism....
    both big honkin' jo-ho no-no's

part of my contentment stems from
    being able to tic off "steps" in my "plan"
    on the way to acheiving my goal...

part of my contentment is an emptying nest...
    my youngest 2 kids are getting ready to launch
    and phase next of my life will find me prepared
    to embrace as yet unknown opportunities

i am not completely satisfied,
    but there is enough satisfaction
    to venture a declaration of contentment....

so, yeah, i am reasonably content

• Newborn
    Newborn

Thanks all! You all seem to have find contentment which makes me hopeful...and I will consider your words carefully.

I'm 35, I was born into the borg. left unhappy marriage and borg summer 2008.

Love

N

• magoo
    magoo

“People say that what we are seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think this is what we're really seeking. I think what we're really seeking is an experience of being alive.”by Joseph Campbell

....being alive can bring contentment.....

magoo

• wobble
    wobble

I have been married for thirty nine years. Content ?

I have been meaning to ask for a divorce for the last 38 years, but I just don't like to interrupt !

(Tee Hee)

Love

Wobble

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I concur with "poppers" & "garyneal" and their suggestions.

May I also suggest this book : "If Life Is A Game, Then These Are the Rules" by Cherie Carter Scott.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Game-These-Are-Rules/dp/0767902386

Easy reading book that can be completed in one sitting (160 pages), yet it can change your outlook when it comes to contentment. Buy a used copy from Amazon for a penny plus shipping.

More power to you "NewBorn"

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Newborn,

I'd like to try a different angle. If you think it's too off-the-wall, just ignore it.

Is "contentment" what we really need or look for in life, kind of a settled-in, warm and fuzzy feeling? The things you describe in your first post about your living surroundings and apartment, or whether you're single or attached, are all environmental things, and not directly related to happiness or contentment.

What we need is to feel EXCITED about life, to have new challenges, to have a reason to wake up in the morning and say "I want to do that". While it's important to eliminate factors in life that we are discontent with (bad relationship, bad religion, unfulfilling job if we can find a better one), these alone do not lead to contentedness.

We need to try new things, break new ground, and help other people in ways meaningful to us.

Those of us who belonged to a high-control religion know what it's like to have others try to define life's meaning for us -- it was to serve THEM. Now that we've become free, we must define our own purposes and what is interesting and exciting to us. It has little or nothing to do with circumstances, and everything to do with our goals, our progress towards them, and our interactions with others.

Thats my 2 cents, and I'm glad I spent them here!

• Newborn
    Newborn

Wobble, are you serious??

Gopher, thanks for your 2 cents, I agree and I think that's exactly what I have to do, find something more meaningful in my life and something I burn for...

Love / N

• wobble
    wobble

No dear Newborn, not serious,hence the tee hee, but my Wife has won the Olympic talking competition,with a Gold for England !

Love

Wobble

• Newborn
    Newborn

Oh, thought so

hahaha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit