Are you content?

by Newborn 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Newborn
    Newborn

I find it hard to be content...even though I have a nice apartment, good job, good health, family and friends. I'm of course grateful for these things but I feel that somehow I always long for something else. when I'm single I want to be with someone...when I'm with someone I want to be free. When I'm working I want to have vacation and travel the world and when I'm traveling I want to be home and feel safe with my daily routines and be close to my family.

Anyone here who feels the same way and have found a way to feel more content with what is now? Or is it just my personality?

I'm afraid I've become too comfortable to start a family and then if I would, I'll regret it. But I'm even more afraid I will regret that I never did start a family if I don't

/Newborn

• poppers
    poppers

Believe it or not, you are in a great position to find a deeper meaning to life. You are finding that the conventional things that are thought to bring contentment don't, and that's an important discovery. Being "in the now" is the key to contentment. When all seeking for something better or for something in the future ceases, and when all thoughts of past stops all that's left is the only time when life actually happens, now. Only in the now can life be lived as it really is rather than how it is imagined it should or shouldn't be. Now has nothing to do with what's in the mind, but people live their lives with their mind telling them how things ought to be. There's nothing inherently wrong with mind, but it is not the determining factor in what you are. Discover what you are rather than clinging to ideas about "me", and that can only happen now.

My suggestion is to stop everything and "simply be" without striving to be anything in particular. Let go of attachment to what mind is telling you and fully immerse yourself in what's actually present without judgment of it or even without labeling any of it. Relax and let go and let life unfold moment to moment and contentment will be your constant companion.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am Mr. Average. 2 kids - 1 boy and 1 girl. I live Average type of home (although it is in a premium area) with an average size mortgage. I drive an average MPV. I have a cat and a Dog. I am a bit of a laggard when it comes to buying new technology and will never be an early adopter. I occasionally think I could be higher than average but then I remember I am lazy and can't be arsed to work more hours or spend less time with the family (or in bed) in pursuit of a higher standard of living. So yes, by and large I am content!

• Newborn
    Newborn

Thanks poppers - interesting - however I find it very difficult to just relax and let go, even though I'd like too. Also what the world around us expects from us, I find difficult to ignore. However I will work on it!

cantleave,

congrats to you! I believe there's happiness in contentment!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm somewhat content. I'm divorced and never had kids but it's too late to change that now. Besides, I kind of like not having people in my face constantly. I should be earning a lot more money for what I do, and sometimes I get annoyed about that. On the other hand, my job isn't demanding on my free time. Other jobs I had in the past required some travel and to be on call 24/7. I'm not willing to put up with that crap any more.

I have my own home, a fairly new vehicle, and a bird that gives me all the affection I can handle. Life is good.

W

• garyneal
    garyneal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgUc7eLXs0s

I love listening to Earl Nightingale, his speaches are so timeless in their wisdom. He also published a series called "Lead The Field" in the 1980's during an era of many"get rich quick" schemes. While I initially dismissed his series as another "touchy feely" feel good about yourself series, upon listening to him, he really made sense.

"You will become what you think about." I learned in 2004 how true that statement really is. All those years from 1995 to 2001 studying to become an engineer and living and breathing the information and I find myself doing exactly that. I also find myself married with children just as I kept thinking about in my 20s.

Having a worthy goal or ideal certainly brought me contentment for it is not the destination but the journey. This is especially true now that I find myself without goals and trying to figure out what my journey should be towards next. I'm happy but sometimes feel like something is missing. I like also what my pastor said in that it is not that we are saved but we are still in the process of being saved. I think he meant that we are not to worry about our salvation but at the same time we should continue to grow in our Christian walk.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I think the critical piece of this discussion is being overlooked. Age. In your case, Newborn, you have not said how old you are but the clues you give indicate you are fairly young. If so, then you are going through the normal process of maturing.

Contentment is a state of mind. Some feel that the teen years are the hardest adjustment period of life and there is a good case to support that. But it gets more complicated as you get into young adulthood. Your decisions are critical at this time - religion, a mate, children, career - all will shape your future. Maintaining a contented soul is at times like hanging onto the back of a bucking bull for 8 seconds.

I feel fortunate to have so far escaped a bitter frame of mind. My definition of contentment today is a "quiet mind". Sometimes before I fall asleep I scan through my 64 year old memory video and have my share of cringe moments that I wish I could 'do over' or do differently. But that is life and when mine is over I think I can rest in peace.

• yellow
    yellow

blissfully got some smooth Lionel Ritchie on. Just had my ex hubby on the phone. Told him I was out of the borg he was so delighted for me even though it broke our marriage up (sigh) still w have a good relationship despite that. Life is good. Despite having swine flu.

• John Doe
    John Doe

To be content is to live in a stasis and not try for improvement. I would never wish for such a thing.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

One of the GREATEST benefits I received from being asked to leave the WTBTS... was learning that it's OKAY... to be HAPPY, JOYFUL, CONTENT!

Omigosh, the years I spent feeling "guilty" for feeling... well, okay. I have never been a schleprock (total nay-sayer)... and had THE hardest time "inside" when people would ask how things were and I would say, "the kids are great, I love my job, business is going well, hubby's fine... got in some good FS hours, met with a couple studies, etc., etc." Always was the "If things are going good, you're doing something wrong because God's people are being persecuted by Satan," talk.

Perhaps you are not "content"... because you aren't allowing yourself to BE content... because you haven't yet learned that it's entirely OKAY to be content. To be happy. JOY... is a FRUIT of God's holy spirit. I don't know if you were involved with the WTBTS (or raised by/around those who were), but if you were, that might be part of the problem. They follow Paul instead of Christ, and so put so much store in their misinterpretation of Paul's words about "suffering" in the flesh. They don't understand that what he was speaking about was not giving in to one's flesh's every desire (another topic altogether).

They LOVE suffering, though, those people. They consider it a "sign" that God is "with" them because it's "proof" that "Satan is waging war with [them]. Please - a house divided against itselt cannot stand. Anyway, enough of them...

In order to find contentment, you're going to have to do a bit of soul-searching. HONEST soul-searching. Because that's the only way you're gonna know what it is that will make YOU content. You don't yet know what you TRULY want... and/or DON'T want. When you do... your life will change. Your choices will change. You will learn what things you can handle, what things you can't... and what things you think you can't but really are willing to try.

I bid you peace... and the best in "finding" yourself... and contentment...

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit