V (ABC Mini-series)

by sacolton 48 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

As long as it's not Battlestart Galactica-remake "caffeine vision", I'll give it a go. I bet I like it as SF and drama, but the jittery camera style of new Galactica and new Starget (Universe) just gives me a headache.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay, it sucked.

Pacing and character development out the window.

• blondie
    blondie

I've been watching the re-runs. They start out a little stilted. Now I'm afraid to watch last night's.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I thought it was OK, but nothing great.

I will watch again, so perhaps that is the ultimate measure, for now.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Alittle slow paced, but I think next weeks show will make up for that.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Big ratings for the first episode. . .

ABC's "V" premiere was Tuesday's highest-rated program in the adult demo, cracking usual leader CBS' drama-series choke-hold on the evening.

"V" was seen by 13.9 million viewers and had a 5.0 preliminary rating among adults 18-49.

That's the biggest scripted series premiere rating for a freshman show this fall.* And particularly impressive for a show that's self-starting ABC's lineup (it's the highest-rated 8 p.m. drama series debut since ... ABC's "Lost," actually). Compared to the "Shark Tank" average in the time period, "V" was up a rather dizzying 213%.

"V" bested tough competition from "NCIS" (19.4 million, 4.2), which nonetheless ranked as the evening's most-watched show. The alien invasion drama gained 4% from its first half hour to its second.

Critics were a bit all over the map on "V", ranging from a rave in USA Today to NY Times calling it slapdash and formulaic to Hollywood Reporter landing somewhere in between. (Most agreed, however, that the scene below rocked).

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/abcs-v-premiere-ratings.html

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I thought the beginning was a little bit ridiculous with the "where were you when JFK was assasinated" line. I would estimate that 98% of the viewers of V weren't even a twinkle in their daddy's eye when JFK was assasinated. The geezers are watching Matlock reruns, not V.

And I agree with the comments on pacing. The entire episode was incredibly rushed. It felt like an anti-Heroes; while Heroes drags ridiculous storylines out for months on end, V took a compelling storyline and crammed a good three or four episodes worth into a one hour pilot.

No mystery whatsoever about whether the Visitors are actually benevolent is a negative.

Every time Hollywood has a doomsday situation in need of a religious character, why is it always a Catholic priest?

Also, do the writers really think so little of the human race to assume the vast majority of us can be bought off with medical cures and hot alien chicks?

All those criticisms said, I liked it enough to give it another go next week.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Also, do the writers really think so little of the human race to assume the vast majority of us can be bought off with medical cures and hot alien chicks?

Of course we can! We've been bought off with less before! Some of us even bought into a Paradise Earth with Lions for All!

Considering the original took episodes and episodes to unfold a story, this new version is obviously going to be a "conspiracy of the week" type thing. Considering they had at least hald a season they needed to collapse into a single episode for this approach, they didn't do all that bad from a story/pacing standpoint.

Characters: flat and lifeless. Production design: bland (no one's gonna make a mint on toys from this series).

Disappointing, and really this has been better done as Earth: Final Conflict (including the predicted spiral down into formulaic resistance fighting).

• sacolton
    sacolton

Although it is a remake and there's no surprise what the V's actually are, but to expose the truth about them in the first episode seems too soon. I think in the old version, we didn't know what they were until much later - building up the suspense and curiousity in catching the first slip that they weren't human.

Again, since it's a remake - it wouldn't have that same GOTCHA that the old series had, so I'm hoping they'll keep it interesting.

As for being "bought off" - heck, I'd sign up just for a ride to the mothership in their transport. They can cure our illnesses ... where do I sign?

• VIII
    VIII

Didn't any of you notice the mocking way the writers wrote about Anna and the devotion they want the humans to have? The way the humans were revering the Visitors? The clapping, people passing out, etc. Much like people are revering Obama? And the Visitors are going to provide Universal Health Care to the humans? I thought all the outright pokes at current events, here, now, and the current way *we* humans are acting towards our President was hysterical.

Heck, Anna even resembled Obama. She could be his really hot, half-sister.

And, the purchasing of the press was especially interesting. The news anchor even looked like Brian Williams of NBC. Anna said they refused to be seen in a negative light and wouldn't give an interview unless the news caster gave a positive interview.

The kid of the FBI agent is obsessed with the Visitors and spends his days texting and tagging buildings with their message of *HOPE*.

How funny. The script writers got that one past the Hollywood bigwigs. Or the bigwigs are in on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit