V (ABC Mini-series)

by sacolton 48 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I was there for the original, and have this one tivoed up.

It shows some promise, with Morena Baccarin cast in the lead role. She does the sweet and light very well, so the contrast to being evil reptoids could be all more shocking. Jane Badler was just real....bad.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Next week! I can't wait!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Okay. Saw the clip. The swan dive Jesus, great symbolism. Looming shadowy menace shows some promising direction. I liked the nod to Independence day, and the other lad commenting about ripoffs looked a lot like Tom Cruise. (War of the Worlds) This taste has me salivating for more....(where's my keyboard protector?)

• sacolton
    sacolton

TONIGHT!!!

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

I'm going to watch this for certaim, I love these kinds of shows. Too bad the pilot is only 1 hour long, that really sucks!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This weekend I watched the two original miniseries on Syfy. I haven't seen them in over 20 years so it was a blast. I am sure the new one will be completely different in tone and storytelling. The campiness in the original was part of the fun, but the same is the case with Old Who and I love NuWho as much if not more. But no Diana, no Donovan, no Starchild, no John, no Ham, no Willie for God's sake, none of the original characters will be in the new series, so I will have to wait to see how it will turn out because the characters were what made the original great, not the fx or premise as much.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

V, an ambitious remake of a 1980s NBC show, in many respects stays close to the original's story line. What has changed -- radically -- is the political subtext. Kenneth Johnson, who wrote and directed the 1983 miniseries (it spawned a sequel and then a regular network series over the next two years), took his inspiration from a 1935 Sinclair Lewis novel called It Can't Happen Here that depicted an imaginary fascist takeover of the United States. The aliens in the original V were patterned after Nazis, and, just in case anyone missed the point, an elderly Jewish character who was a Holocaust survivor periodically hammered on the similarities.

But ABC's series takes aim not at a German dictator from the misty past but a sitting -- and popular -- U.S. president. From the fawning reaction of the news media (sample press-conference question to V leader Anna: ``Is there such a thing as an ugly visitor?'') to the recruiting of human supporters into an alien front group that could easily be mistaken for ``community organizing,'' the parallels to Obama are unmistakable.

The anti-V underground, in its frustrated insistence that the aliens have a covert agenda, resemble nothing so much as the anti-Obama teabaggers. And even the president's repeated attempts to suborn Republicans into making his program bipartisan get a scorching reference.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/tv/v-fullstory/story/1308421.html

• dissed
    dissed

leavingwt

I thought they implied that pretty well in the comercials.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Didn't know it was only one hour tonight. That sucks.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I thought they implied that pretty well in the comercials.

Yes, it's fairly overt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit