Hello Hello (Continued) Intros ....

by Roamingfeline 20 Replies latest social relationships

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Hey, nice to see you again, Kismet!!! Where ya been? I do agree that the other thread was getting a bit long, and totally lost it's original purpose!

So are you having a nice holiday season, and what have you been up to?

Hugs,
    RCat

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Kis!

I swear, I had half of the newbies convinced that Red lived in the sex forum. I even had her smug about it.

Thanks for ruining my fun.

But smugness aside, glad to see you post.

And you too, Cat! Stop boxing or whatever and come back! What season is it DownUnder anyway?

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Ah, yes, Waiting, you little vixen. You and your trashy Southern lies. But they are learning....oh, yes......they are learning. Smug? You think I'm smug.....HA!! I say again, HA!

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

It's Christmas season followed by New Year, same as yours.

RCat

• JAVA
    JAVA

Hi Kismet:

Yes I agree, we're having too much fun on the other "Hello Hello" file, and the origional thread is getting a little tattered and worn.

Thanks for sharing your bio--wow, 11 years at Bethel! Your reasons for leaving caused me to think about the different ones I've known who left the religion soon after leaving Bethel. I'm sure the Society doesn't keep track of ones leaving Bethel with the retention and exiting figures of those who leave or stay in the religion. However, most of the folks I know who left Bethel also left the religion within a few years. If the Society was really "God's Organization," one might think exiting Bethel members would become life-long pillars in the Witness community. It's interesting how the Tower keeps records on Hours, Publishers, etc., but information that might suggest trouble in paradise is conspicuously absent.

Edited by - JAVA on 28 December 2000 16:22:8

• TMS
    TMS

An intriguing bit of Java's words:

"However, most of the folks I know who left Bethel also left the religion within a few years. If the Society was really "God's Organization," one might think exiting Bethel members would become life-long pillars in the Witness community."

Some of the operative words may be disillusioning, de-mystifying . . . . Making a pilgramage to Bethel never interested me. We always opted to go to a scenic locale instead. Subconsciously, I've probably wanted to retain my pristine, fanciful image of headquarters.

TMS

p.s. Two close personal friends returned from stints @ Bethel in the late 50's. Both men remained JW's, but were less in awe of the "Society" than most.

• JAVA
    JAVA

TMS:

Some of the operative words may be disillusioning, de-mystifying . . . . Making a pilgramage to Bethel never interested me. We always opted to go to a scenic locale instead. Subconsciously, I've probably wanted to retain my pristine, fanciful image of headquarters.

Yeah, I guess it's easier to maintain the delusion by not visiting the Land of Oz. The visit might also stumble Toto if he peeks behind the curtain. With less wisdom than you, I visited the Brooklyn and Farm Meccas. I don't remember being overly impressed or disappointed. However, the woman giving the Farm tour seemed cold and matter-of-fact; not what I expected from someone living in the Temple of Israel.

p.s. Two close personal friends returned from stints @ Bethel in the late 50's. Both men remained JW's, but were less in awe of the "Society" than most.

I also had two friends who returned and remained JWs. Like your experience, both seemed less enchanted when returning. Actually, both were bitter and withdrawn. One of them died in his late 20s from a condition induced by stress. I can't help wondering if his few years at the Farm caused his death. That happened in the mid 70s, and I sincerely believe Tom Williams died for something he disliked in the end.

• Simon
    Simon

My uncle-in-law visited WatchTower HQ and farms in the states last year and ever since has been very troubled. He was an elder but I dont think he is anymore - he's having some emotional problems now and now really getting the help he should. The people who are closest to him just put more pressure on him to be like a good JW should.
    It's quite sad.

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Hey Kismet,

Glad things are going so well for you! Happy New Year to you also!!!!!!

Big hugs,
    RCat

• Snowball
    Snowball

Greetings!

Is it my turn? OK , here goes...

Raised as a JW. Dad was an elder. We went to Minnesota where the need was great in '74. Came back to Calif flat broke in '76. Dad resigned as an elder and has been chroniccally depressed for years, but still believes in the Org. Mom has pioneered on and off for years and brought many people into the JWs including most relatives.

I got married in '87 at 21. My wife was raised a JW too. Struggled with our marriage and finances for years, but things got better as we got older. I became a Ministerial Servant in the Pleasanton, CA congregation, and my wife a FT PIO. I had many responsibilities in the hall and we were part of the center of the congregation socially. Had many happy years around this time and was a content JW.

In '98 my wife asked me to explain to her again the Gentile Times calculations. I did so, and then something just cliked in my brain and I reealized just how weak these doctrines were. I started doing tons of research on 1914 and 607. Read lots of history books at the library and emailed historians and rabbis. I didnt look at 'apostate' literature yet at this time. Came to the conclusion that the WTS was way off base in the 1914 doctrine and then started realizing the repurcussions of that conclusion.

I was very dissilusioned and went to the elders for help. They formed an investigative committee on me, but were actually pretty patient with me at this time. I asked to be removed from the school.

Then I started re-questioning a teaching that I had long disagreed with...the blood transfusion ban. broke down and told my wife I disagreed with it. Started doing research on blood fractions at hospital library and found references to AJWRB. Was shocked to find JWs who thought like I did and emailed Liberal Elder to support him in AJWRBs cause. Wife found the email on my computer and printed it up and gave it to elders. Judicial committee was formed...appeal failed....anounced Disfellowshipped on Jan 11th '99. Wife left me shortly after....disowned by my family...abandoned by all my freinds....etc, etc...

Found comfort in discovering the online world and the many many exjws out there. Also found a local ex-JW support group. Dabbled a bit with mainstream churches, but found my world-view had changed. Now I go to a Unitarian church.

I have been seperated for almost two years and am thinking about divorce for closures sake. Have made friends with other ex-jWs, but still find it hard to fit in with society in general. But I manage ok, and keep busy with my job as a stair banister installer in the Silicon Valley area near San Francisco CA.

Thanx for listening!

Wayne Rogers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit