Living in the western "rich" world we are spoiled and don't understand harships! Agree?

by Witness 007 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Just saw a documentary on Bolivia how a woman gets up while it's dark, puts a barrel on her head and walks 10 Miles to get water for the day from a filthy well we would not swim in!....thats what 1 Billion or more people have to do everyday! They also scavenge for a hand full of rice or dirty flour...meanwhile, I buy 4 litre "springwater" and run down to the supermarket to pick what fruit, vegetables, meat, I want to eat today.

Our kids want Nike shoes and PS 3 while there kids need food and medicine.....and clean water! I jump in a nice car and complain about Petrol prices, while they walk many miles a day to work and home......I think we are lucky but don't know it, just born on the good side of the world.

agree?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I agree wholeheartedly, but our world is about to be rocked to pieces!

Those of us who haven't had the misfortune to experience those conditions, are going to learn what it's like.

Stay tuned.

Sylvia

• villabolo
    villabolo

Agreed. I would extend those 1 billion to several billions including the American lower middle class as well as the poor. They may not suffer to the same degree by far as the one billion you mentioned but the upper midddle class is every bit as isolated from them physically and intellectually as they are from the worlds poor.

I have relatives whose children are pampered getting everything for Christmas, playing (expensive) sports, going to expensive private schools. They live in a semi-secluded valley in a McMansion only ten miles from the homes of the working poor. One of the children is prejudiced against Mexicans and he didn't even know (He's ten) that he is half Mexican half Cuban.

villabolo

• JeffT
    JeffT

I agree that many in the rich western nations don't know what real hardship is. I completely disagree with Villaboo's comment about the American lower class. There is a world of difference between having to buy knock off designer jeans at Target and not having enough to eat.

• cantleave
    cantleave

We complain if we drive a 5 year old car, or don't have a Blu-Ray player yet. Yep we don't know the real meaning of hardship.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I completely disagree with Villaboo's comment about the American lower class.There is a world of difference between having to buy knock off designer jeans at Target and not having enough to eat.

I think your middle class existence has blinded you to the lives of other American citizens: those who must buy ill fitting, used, blue jeans at Goodwill and go to food pantries in order to have something to eat. We do have poverty in this country.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Read "Nickled and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich if you want a glimpse of how America's working poor live. Poverty exists everywhere.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think all things are relevant however, I couldn't say that all people living in the 'western' world don't understand hardship. Many have lived it. There are 1 million kids and rising, that are homeless in the USA right now and believe me, they could tell you their stories of wanting a warm bed and not a new DVD player. There are 35 million people and rising in this country, using food stamps - many of whom are working but unable to earn enough to pay for both a place to live and eat at the same time.

I think many do understand and for the ones that have already suffered hardships, they see what is coming and will be better able to adapt. For those that have tied up their self worth in materialism - they will perhaps have to find other ways to cope than by a prescription, because even that might be rationed when they lose their job or the funds to buy the drugs.

As one economist reported - the American middle class is dissolving before your eyes and will continue to erode until the USA is the 'richest' third world country. Rich and poor - each in their own enclave. China and India are emerging as the new middle class consumer and are expected to rise up and remain there for decades.

Of course all this is shifting as the new currency comes into play - it might change in a heartbeat if the USA decides war is an option to restart manufacturing........sammieswife.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I agree that there are ones in the more affluent world that suffer from lack of food, housing, and good clothes.

But the majority live in luxury compared to poorer third world countries. Look at what the 2009 US poverty level for one person, $10,830 (http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml). A citizen of Malawi can spend $ 1.6 a day to make a living,
    a citizen of Eritrea $ 2.5, the average US citizen spends $ 114 daily (http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world.htm).

Can the majority of those in the affluent nations of the world really know how those in poor countries live? No.

• Robdar
    Robdar

the average US citizen spends $ 114 daily

Sorry, I have problems with the stats you quoted. I am a middle class US Citizen and I guarantee you I do not spend $114.00 a day. Sometimes I don't spend that much in a week. Neither do my middle class US Citizen friends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit