Living in the western "rich" world we are spoiled and don't understand harships! Agree?

by Witness 007 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• beksbks
    beksbks

trueblue, I don't think it's about being poor or rich, I mean the happiness part. I think it's about what you do with it, how you view it, how much time you spend trying to get it, and how big a part of your life you let it be. Being poor sucks, and that is the truth. It's stressful, and unhealthy. But that drive for more more more, or that keeping up with the neighbors.........that's just as bad if not more.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Ya, but everyone does not have anything to do with me anymore unless they can make a buck, and that really sucks.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Ya, but everyone does not have anything to do with me anymore unless they can make a buck, and that really sucks.

You've noticed it too?

Well, if it isnt about money, it's about sex.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My bad on the numbers. According to Wikipedia the poverty rate in India is 42%, (less than $1.25 a day) which would mean there are more poor people in India than there are people in the US.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well my parents met and married in '51. Baby at '55. They drove to Cali in '59 to Los Angeles with $50 in their pockets and a full tank. My parents thought my uncle was living in L.A. but he moved to Fresno. After some time my Dad found work and life was ok. They bought a house and I was born soon afterward. At their peak they had 7 properties.

I was not spoiled until I was 16. I worked my ass off in anything I did. Now I'm getting proceeds off my parents estate. Kinda loser-ish

• chickpea
    chickpea

i suspect i easily "spend" $114/day and then some

utilities, property/income taxes, groceries, fuel, phone/cable/internet
    tuition, insurance, mortage, car loan, that damn $60 gasket for the freezer door
    plus the tire for my son's car....

it isnt about what comes out of your
    pocket for a night at the movies...
    it is how much wealthier populations spend as
    maintenance costs as a per day sum

sh!t, i WISH it was only $114/day!!!

yeah, i think we dont get what it is like to
    have to harvest your food from a dump
    where a bunch of cattle and dogs are
    scavenging for the same things you are...

or living in a barrio where the streets are
    an open sewer, or occupy the crypts in
    a cemetary because that is the only shelter
    available to house your family....

or sell your 11 year old daughter/son to
    pedophiles who travel to your country
    to f*ck children who havent reached
    puberty...

i dont think we get that at a visceral level, at all

• d
    d

This is true we do in the United States enjoy a high standard of life. Whereas in other countries people experience civil war and awful poverty.

• d
    d

The more change the more they stay the same. Poverty will always stay.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I agree that those of us in the "western world" are spoiled and probably don't understand what life is like in the third world countries. I am also aware that there is poverty in this country. I believe that a lot of my (and your) tax dollars are sent to these other countries to help with the poverty. I may be mean but I feel that we should concentrate on those suffering from poverty in our own country. There have been times, when I was young, that I have come home to see the furniture company repossesing our furniture, our lights and telephone being cut off and our family not having enough food to eat. This was not because my father did not have a good job but because my father was a bad manager and had a girl friend on the side. My own young children got measels and chicken pox because my husband and I did not have the money for vaccinations for them. I know this may sound lame and petty to some of you, but they were hard times for me. There have been many times when I have sat down an cried because I did not know what I was going to do about paying the bills because my husband did not work and I had the whole responsibility for making sure we had enough money to eat and keep a roof over our heads. I know this doesn't compare to those poor people who don't have clean water or enough to eat. I work very hard to care for myself and I am not young. I know that I will have to work as long as my body can stand up to it. I hope that I last till the age of 75. I think those govenments of third world countries can do more to help their own people. Like some other poster said, I don't want our government to cause us here in our country to be poor like other countries due to Obama's bad judgments and spending. I always give items to goodwill, money to the Salvation Army and I have volunteered at food banks and cooked at places that feed the underprivilaged. I do what I can to help others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit