The movie "2012." Has everyone turned dub?

by parakeet 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Thinking the world will end in 2012 because the Mayan calendar ends is like believing your car will stop running when the odometer hits 99999.9. It's hard to believe people actually take this seriously. See you in 2013! :-)

SNG

• JWoods
    JWoods

I personally got paid over $1200 to sit around and have a midnight computer watch on Dec 31 > Jan 1 2000.

AFTER I had pointed out to everyone that would listen that we had already set the clocks up on the major systems to midnight 2000 and tested all the programs.

Computers in general do not have a way to read the night stars to see what time it is.

• dgp
    dgp

The Aztecs used to sacrify people because they believed that their gods were whimsical, and nobody knew just when they would no longer be in the mood of letting the world continue to exist. They borrowed the Mayan calendar, the most precise ever, because they wanted to keep a precise count of exactly which god was keeping the world alive at a given moment, so they would not upset that god by sacrifying blood to another deity. And, the aztecs believed that the last five days of each year were also bad days, and the gods could just become upset at that particular time.

The Spanish found it easy to conquer the Aztecs, among other things, because the Aztecs had a prophecy about white men who would return by the time the world would be over. Many Aztecs fought the Spanish as a way to die without taking their lives by themselves. And, the diseases the Spanish took there, which spread so much because the Aztecs had no resistance to them, made them believe the world was indeed over.

These guys weren't even Christian. In fact, they very much resisted Christianity, and, to this day, they have their own particular beliefs. Those which, by the way, the Watchtower would consider "pagan". Because they are pagan, indeed.

Now, if you believe that rain comes from the fact that a god breaks a vase full of water, I am sure you will find it easy to believe in their particular concept of the existence of the universe.

Any similarities?

I believe that it's human nature to fear our own end, and to have questions about what keeps the world going and whether it will ever stop. That is why these kind of things sell.

• parakeet
    parakeet

isaacaustin: parakeet, celebrated Wt scholars realized they made a few errors, and 2012 will be the end of the world...they have the precise calculations.

Well, as long as they're precise, they must be right this time.

isaacaustin: but seriously parakeet....this sort of craze sells...when the WT came into existance there were many apocalyptic cults coming about.

And apparently they're still going strong. I thought their brand of crazy dried up after 2000.

Thanks, everyone, for responding and letting me know about the Mayan calendar thing. What people are willing to believe on no evidence whatsoever still boggles the mind.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Do you remember our OBVES? He had a hundred different ways of putting numbers together to come up with 2012. None of them any sillier than Chuck Russell's.

# HOW THE BIBLE DETERMINES THE END TIMES : 1878 AD - 2012 AD

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh my god - SNG.

Hope all is well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJzYP9iM0E

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It's not just the Mayan calendar, but that's the big drive. It's also the dawning of the age of Aquarius.

It seems that most all religion is mystical and the Jesus stuff came with the age of Pisces. Well, it's a new age arriving. The age of Pisces is known for spiritual searches of the people and for monotheism. The age of Aquarius is known for freedom and technology. It could mean the need for God is gone and people look to democracy and computers for freedom. That could be a disaster that brings about the end of the world.

Just as the age of Taurus ended and the story of Moses angrily casting God's commandments at the image of a bull, the age of Pisces brought about a condemning of polytheism and modern Judiasm, Christianity, Islam came about. Well, it came about with much strife. The age of Taurus was followed by the age of Aries, known for war and fire. So monotheism and spiritual thinking did not come about peacefully.

The age of Aquarius should not come about by warfare and fire, but a clash between spiritual people and people with faith in man instead of religion might occur. That would be a good time for the soon-to-be-abandoned God to lash out at Man that tries to stop putting faith in Him.

All of the above is believed by some people. It's a bunch of BS to me.

The Age of Pisces is characterized by the rise of many religions such as Christianity, Islam and Buddhism due to "spiritual" nature of Pisces and its ability to go beyond the boundaries of the physical world. The Age of Pisces is mainly marked by the continuous research of mankind about the truth hidden behind what's perceived by five senses. The New Age Movement "celebrating" The Age of Aquarius is claimed by some to be a characteristic of The Age of Pisces.

• dgp
    dgp

If it's any consolation, people, I DID get rid of my small, preciously hard to find rubber Smurf when I heard it was diabolical. I was so scared. I didn't suspect what the source of that "piece of information" was until now. It makes me feel so bad about myself. And, please, remember I'm not and have never been a JW.

• glenster
  • ziddina
    ziddina

I finally caught this movie in the "free" movie section. Am I ever glad that I didn't waste my money on it when it first came out....

I would love to have nominated it for "Worst Movie Line Ever", for the line uttered by a [supposed] astrophysicist or geologist: "The earth's core is melting!!"

The movie is ALL Creationist "science" - and clearly demonstrates the reasons why Creationism SHOULDN'T be taught in the schools...

For example - Neutrinos from the sun microwave the earth's core, causing it to melt - what, so the earth behaves like a cheese burrito in a 7-11 microwave???

[For those of you out there who are NOT rockhounds, not interested in volcanoes, or who were snoozing thru earth sciences in Junior High or High School, the earth's core HAS BEEN MOLTEN since the earth's beginnings - and if the earth's core WEREN'T molten, then earth wouldn't have magnetic poles and the solar 'winds' would have stripped off earth's atmosphere and water, leaving it as barren as Mars...]

So be GRATEFUL that the earth's core IS MOLTEN - though it's under so much pressure that it is a liquid that behaves like a solid. (It's a LIQUID but acts like a SOLID but it's a LIQUID but acts like a SOLID but it's a LIQUID but... "Chinatown" - Faye Dunaway - "She's my sister! She's my daughter! She's my sister! She's my daughter!")

Anyway, according to this movie, this microwaved cheese burrito earth causes the earth's crust to destabilize, causing bits of crust to sink [??????] break up and whip around the face of the earth as the magnetic poles shift - some town in Wisconsin ends up as the "new" South Pole [What happened to the MANTLE section, huh, Creationists??? ]

The subcontinent of India is submurged by a 1500+ meter-high tsunami - that translates to around 5,100 feet in altitude. But SOMEHOW this tsunami makes it all the way up the sides of Mount Everest, at an altitude of 29,029 feet...

I guess that the Indian subcontinent somehow 'sank' so that the tsunami could make it up there???

Only problem with that? The granitic continental masses are LIGHTER than the basaltic oceanic basin materials, which is why the continents "float' on the basaltic "basement" rocks... So the granitic masses COULDN'T 'sink', anymore than water-tight balsa wood could...

Of course, at the end of the movie [I fast-forwarded through the boring cliff-hanger stuff], the "floodwaters are receding off the land" so they could land their "arks" - which looked like steel-plated cruise ships hybridized with a Concorde...

Oh, yeah... This movie is SO grounded in "scientific facts" - NOT....

If you view it as a gigantic spoof or fantasy, it's barely watchable.... Otherwise, it's a waste of two hours and an exercise in idiocy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit